dochollow

Paint Sets?

I would stick with Createx and Wicked paints to start. They spray well, and won't give you the same problems as cheaper paints with pigment particles that are too big to spray well with an air brush.

Buy large bottles of Wicked White and Black.

Buy pearl silver and pearl white.

Buy basic colors, like red, blue, green, yellow, all in transparent.

Once you've learned what you can and can't mix with those, you can supplement with other color, and even other brands, like Apple Barrel and Wasco.

I also buy from Coast Airbrush.

There are lots of other sellers, but I have used Coast, so I know they are okay.

Here's their link:

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=11

You can also find Createx and other Tshirt paint for air brushes at Michael's and other hobby stores.

Hey fellas, this is my place to play. Crankpaint if I had to clean up in there it wouldn't be any fun, and Vic the tip poster is for knots for braid to mono. ;) I probably should post the other side where the crankbaits are hanging on the shelf......here ya go.

006.jpg

Edited by bassguy

I just started last year and have been well-served with a basic Createx transparent pack that included white and black. I bought the opaque pack at the same time but don't use them very often. A big bottle of white and black are good advice, as stated above, as they run out fastest. I don't run production, so having a whole bunch of pre-mixed stuff wasn't important. I can pretty much get any color I'm looking for by mixing. I did recently purchase some gray, since I tend to mix that a lot, and some flourescent orange. The flourescents are harder to get mixed and look good, in my experience.

I almost never spray a color straight out of the bottle, usually blending it with something else to get what I want. I haven't done much with the pearlescent colors. I couldn't get them to work like I wanted, so I don't think about them any more. I did have some luck with a very light coat of spray glitter I swiped from the wife's crafting box.

I can see how either mixing you own in larger batches and saving it or having a wider range of pre-mixed colors would be essential if you were doing a whole bunch of the same pattern and color. At most I do about 5. One for me and a few for friends. If you're going to use my "mix as you go" method I'd suggest doing them all in one sitting if you want them to be the same. Even with a formula I have problems getting exact matches consistently by using the "1 drop of this, 4 drops of that" method. You can get close, of course. I expect this is because not all drops are created equal.

Good luck painting, it sure is fun.

-SB

Are you mixing the transparents with the white or black to get your colors? If so, maybe I should try that. I've been using the opaques. Just when I'm frustrated and need a break; I hear something else I should try. I'm also glad my bench is not the only messy one.

Any tips for an olive color

White and black is mostly used when mixing colors to change the "shade" of a particular color. Although black can be mixed with some colors to get an entirely different color. Mix orange, or yellow, with black and you'll get different shades of green. (if I remember correctly) Just remember when trying this that black is an exceptionally strong color. It takes very little to have a dramatic effect.

My recipe for olive green is to use 1 tablespoon transparent yellow with 3 drops of black. The reason I measure this color recipe with a tablespoon is that I use a good bit of this color and mix it in larger amounts to be stored in a plastic bottle until needed.

If you plan on trying to mix some of your colors it would be wise to invest in a color wheel. While the color wheel won't give you specific mixing recipes it will give you an idea as to where to start.

Ben

• Like 1

my best olive color is a 2 step process - i spray trans orange over black to acheive it - ive tried mixing it but i still like the result of the orange over black best

Haven't tried that. Hadn't even thought about it to tell the truth. Will have to give that a try.

thanks,

Ben

Spraying layers of transparent paint is another way to achieve different colors.

To learn painlessly, set up both a white and a black sheet of paper, and play around with thin layers of different colors on them, instead of trying to do it on a bait.

I use a lot of dark olive colored paint, and I get it by buying Apple Barrel moss green, and adding a drop of either black or brown, until I get what I want. It's an opaque paint, so using transparents to change it's color takes more paint than opaques/solids, like black. I mix my paints in a clear plastic salsa cup, so I can see what it looks like as I mix by putting a little on the side of the cup as I mix, to look through. For me, it helps me see what a thin coat, like I'll wind up spraying, looks like instead of just looking at the mixed paint and guessing.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I make color charts. I took a white board and played around with each color that I wanted to see what I come up with. I made notes beside the ones that I liked. It will teach you alot. I know this is time consuming but you only have to do it one time unless you buy a new color. Its well worth the time and it was fun to do as well. Also to make it look neat, I used tape to make squares on the board.Then you can hang this up and use it for reference.

• Like 1

I make color charts. I took a white board and played around with each color that I wanted to see what I come up with. I made notes beside the ones that I liked. It will teach you alot. I know this is time consuming but you only have to do it one time unless you buy a new color. Its well worth the time and it was fun to do as well. Also to make it look neat, I used tape to make squares on the board.Then you can hang this up and use it for reference.

Too smart!!!! :worship: