Wooly

Spinnerbait Component Sizing

Does anyone have some good information (chart) for the size swivels, beads, clevis, blades, etc. that you use with each weight spinnerbait / wire dia. ? Starting to tinker with some spinnerbaits and would like to have some good base info. .

thanks,

While the charts that are available on the tacklemaking link put up by reeves is a good starting point, there is one item I disagree with, the ball bearing swivel size. While you can use a size 1 swivel on a 1/4oz bait, I choose to use a size 2 and I use the size 2 for everything up to 3/4oz. The 1/4oz works with either a size or 2 and the 3/4 will work with a size 2 or 3, but size 2 for the in between.

I agree with what smalljaw is saying. Any of the charts that you will find are merely reference and not "Gospel". When I first started, I referred to these type charts religiously. After looking around I saw that no one else did, and they all sold a ton of baits. All in all, they are great as reference for the beginner.

I agree with what smalljaw is saying. Any of the charts that you will find are merely reference and not "Gospel". When I first started, I referred to these type charts religiously. After looking around I saw that no one else did, and they all sold a ton of baits. All in all, they are great as reference for the beginner.

Reeves is spot on! The good thing with the charts is they give you a reference point on were to start. While I do use some of the recommended blade sizes, I also have difference but the chart will put you in the ball park and truth be told, the bait will work fine going by the chart but once you make a few dozen and begin to really understand the bait you will get a feel for what you should use and what will work. The other thing is don't be afraid to experiment, that is how innovation happens, you may stumble onto something that works really well, good luck and more importantly, have fun!