BobP

Deals On Reels - Shimano Curado E Series

Shimano came out with its new G series Curados for 2012 recently and retailers are discounting the 2010-2011 E series Curados to clear inventory. With Shimano "re-jiggering" their reel lineup for 2012, buying a Curado E series at clearance prices has become a sweet deal. For instance, you can find a brand new 5.7 ounce Curado 50E for as low as $133 right now. Retail a few months ago was $179. Original retail was $199. Small frame, 7 bearings, super-free pinion system, light spool. The E series also contains 200 and 300 size Curados.

Here's the kicker - the new 2012 G series Curados have fewer bearings and quality features and have been priced in the $150 range to recalibrate the Shimano reel lineup. To get a reel with the exact same specs as the Curado 50E, you now have to buy a Chronarch 50G, which retails for $199. Except for changing the paint color and calling it a Chronach versus a Curado, the two reels are virtually identical.

I like Shimano reels and anytime I can get something as good as a brand new Chronarch for $133, I'm a happy camper.

Deals can be had on the 200Gs as well. I have a couple already, and while they may not supposedly have the same specs as the 200G or the 200D, they perform quite nicely. Better than the old 200B or 200BSF. Initially they same to cast and control as well as my 200Gs, but only time will tell if they hold up as well.

I still have (and use) my original 200B, although it has been back to Shimano once for a rebuild.