trick trout

HELP!!!!!! NEED NEW PRIMER

A couple of Q's before making a suggestion:

1) what are you using for paint? clearcoat?

2) what do you want your primer to do for you? paint directly on it or seal/clearcoat first?

I use createx pro flo white for a base coat. On wood baits this is over a body previously sealed with one of the minwax products and given a clearcoat of flexcoat. Then I shoot my base colors (also createx).

well for paint i just use a basic airbrush paint that i get from the local art shop... for clear coat i use enirotex... for a primer i would want it for putting a coat of primer straight onto the wood so that later when it dries i can sand it down very fine to get rid of all the flaws that may happen with wood... and also to put a white base coat so my paint base coats come out my bright and virbrant

KILZ or one of the minwax products, then a coat of opaque white (from whichever paint brand you are shooting in the brush). I like to clearcoat between the KILZ/sealer and the basecoat, but that may not be feasible if using envirotex. Someone else can probably provide a better answer there.

Basically you need to make sure your wood body is adequately sealed before you start shooting paint, esp water based, at it. Otherwise you will have issues with the grain swelling and your paint job cracking/chipping. Thus the recommendation for minwax.

KILZ is a good product, but I have on occasion had issues with it not drying fast enough for my taste. You really need to allow some long dry times between coats.

I've been using "Zinsser Cover Stain" primer (spray can version) for awhile now. It goes on thick,white, and usually can get away with 1 coat. I've only been able to find it at ACE Hardwares lately. I've used it with and without sealing first, but may need another coat if you don't. Sands easy and smooth + dries fast. I've been using "AUTOAIR" by Createx then coated with Crystal Sheen with no problems.

Cliff

Hey Dave. Crystal Sheen is made by Envirotex. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. I've coated around 100 cranks with it and have had no problems so far. I'll let you know if I recommend it after some serious structure trolling with them. Seems a little harder than the Envirotex-lite but still has flex. You can check out the details on the Envirotex website. The new colors from Auto-Air are great. Have not had any problems spraying them and found a store 5 miles from home that stocks about all the colors they make !! Cliff