top coat clear epoxy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ksnouf

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

I am new to painting my crankbaits. So far they seem to be working well but I could use some insite. I have unlimited accest to auto paint so I have been using 2 phase to spay cedar crankbaits. After painting I have been spraying auto 4:1 clear and they seen realy hard the next day. But the coat doesn't seem as thick as some handmade lures I have bought. Is this a good way to clear? I read some use exopy and am just wondering if should go in that direction? Just so you know- I hope not to blow up. I have a small spaybooth that is vented out the wall and I wear a mask when spraying.
Any advise is welcome.

Attached Files

Edited by ksnouf, 05 March 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#2 gekhang

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

its a great way to clear! most people choose to use epoxy due to its price and it being toxic free for the most part. i say if you have unlimited access to it and have the necessary equipment to spray it safely, then by all means use it.
  • ksnouf likes this

#3 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Except for the toxicity, many of us would use auto clearcoat. It does a nice job and performs well. The thickness you see on custom baits is usually due to using epoxy as a topcoat. It's just more viscous than other options, not better.

#4 crzyjunyer

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

its the way i clear coat mine - i like it better than epoxy since its not as thick as well as i can do more at a time with a lot longer window of opportunity with out constatly poouring out more epoxy and mixing it
  • Tcreolle likes this