ksnouf

Old Hand Made Crankbaits - Who Made Them?

I bought these off of a guy near Hamilton Ohio. He thought they came from someone in Indiana but wasn't sure. I was hoping tat someone might know who made them. They are well over 20 years old. Any ideas? I have about 60 of them and they seem very well made. Weighted on sides.

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

cranks1.jpg

cranks2.jpg

cranks3.jpg

cranks4.jpg

post-28131-0-05391800-1330967179_thumb.jpg

post-28131-0-78802000-1330967217_thumb.jpg

post-28131-0-06307200-1330967226_thumb.jpg

post-28131-0-56738600-1330967239_thumb.jpg

I would try this forum. These guys know their baits. Might try a title like "Ohio handmades".

http://nflcc.org/phpBB2/

Unusual build with side weight. They may know who made them. Whoever made them was probably making a Fred Young Big O . Shape and bill placement very similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Fred-C-Young-Early-Big-O-Lure-RARE-Pin-Eyes-/280722153221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415c581f05#ht_3555wt_754

Good luck. Nice looking baits.

Thanks, I'll try there. They are pretty flat - unlike a big-O I have seen.. The weights are drilled in the side and then pluged. The plugs stick out somewhat and a couple have the plus missing to reveal the round weight.

They look to be late 70s - early 80s handmades in the style of TN makers... coated with polyurathane or marine varnish wich yellows greatly over time.

May be early baits from a known artist, or more likely a small regional builder long forgotten.

I would say that the bumps on sides of baits are not weights but are some kind of brass rattle glued into the bait. On baits like these I have seen the makers use 22 bullet casings with shot for rattles.

Most telling stylistic signature on the baits are the eyes on most. Someone here will know who made these baits if they got any exposure further than one crafters box.

Yes they are sequin. The weight in the sides - look to be drilled all te way throught and then plugged on the sides. They don't rattle. Thanks for all your comments. I am hoping that one of you will recognize these as being your work from years ago. I havn't got to use them yet but were told that they tear the smallmouth up.

Sequins! What a smart idea! Once they're glued on, a drop of black for the pupil, and you're all set!

If I thought the looks I got when I bought nail polish were funny, I can only imagine what the woman at the fabric store will think when I ask for sequins! I already bought tulle there for scales, so I hope they will let me back in. Hahaha

Edited by mark poulson

Sequins! What a smart idea! Once they're glued on, a drop of black for the pupil, and you're all set!

If I thought the looks I got when I bought nail polish were funny, I can only imagine what the woman at the fabric store will think when I ask for sequins! I already bought tulle there for scales, so I hope they will let me back in. Hahaha

Bahaha! Thats funny but true. Even at Hobby Lobby I get funny looks from ladies. I just want to tell them they have man stuff here as well. Even though I go into the fabric section or scrap booking area trying to find different punches or fabric for scales.