jtibill

Easy Way To Hold Square Wood In A 3 Jaw Chuck

I wanted to turn some basswood and balsa wood lure bodies but I couldn't find any round dowels that I could hold in the 3 jaw chuck of my mini lathe. I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking, " I wonder if those 1/2" square sticks I have will fit in a 1/2" square drive socket." This morning I put the 1/2" square sticks I bought at the art supply store into the back of a 1/2" drive socket and they fit pjerfectly. Now all I have to do is chuck up the socket and insert the stick when I want to turn a square piece of wood in my lathe. I'm sure 3/4" and 1" drive sockets would work as well.

Bill

I wanted to turn some basswood and balsa wood lure bodies but I couldn't find any round dowels that I could hold in the 3 jaw chuck of my mini lathe. I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking, " I wonder if those 1/2" square sticks I have will fit in a 1/2" square drive socket." This morning I put the 1/2" square sticks I bought at the art supply store into the back of a 1/2" drive socket and they fit pjerfectly. Now all I have to do is chuck up the socket and insert the stick when I want to turn a square piece of wood in my lathe. I'm sure 3/4" and 1" drive sockets would work as well.

Bill

Clever solution!

If you can find some impact sockets they sometimes have a hole drilled through the side so that a retaining ring can be used to keep the socket from falling off the impact wrench. They use this type in construction where falling objects could be a health hazard. You could stick your square stock in the socket and then run a drill bit through the hole. You could then use a small bolt or wood dowel to secure your square stock to the socket.

Ben

Get yourself a four jaw chuck, thats what I use and I have no problems, besides put the square wood between the centers and round them off thats how I make mine.

Sounds like your a novice go to a book store and get a good wood turning book.

Edited by repair

Get yourself a four jaw chuck, thats what I use and I have no problems, besides put the square wood between the centers and round them off thats how I make mine. Sounds like your a novice go to a book store and get a good wood turning book.

Hi Repair,

My lathe is set up to turn metal masters I use to make water putty injection molds. The chuck has less than a thousanths runout and the tailstock is aligned with the bore of the chuck with no indicated misalignment. I don't turn much wood so I was looking for a way to avoid removing my three jaw chuck. The 1/2" drive socket holds the wood with a force fit and no play at all. I was able to cut a 0.025 basswood disk with my parting tool easily so I tried a 0.010 disk but the wood fell apart. I then cut a 0.015 disk with my parting tool no problem. I posted the pictures in the hardbait gallery. If your four jaw chuck can do better post a picture.

Nice idea but I would be careful when you part the lure off. I doubt that the socket keeps a firm grip on the wood.

Gene

Hi Gene,

The back of the socket holds the wood with a forced fit and no play. Check out the pictures of some very thin parting cuts I was able to do easily in the hard bait gallery. The wood cut so well it was actually shiny.

Bill

Hi Gene,

The back of the socket holds the wood with a forced fit and no play. Check out the pictures of some very thin parting cuts I was able to do easily in the hard bait gallery. The wood cut so well it was actually shiny.

Bill

Bill,

Point taken. I stand corrected. Very nice.

Gene

I have just recently turned a few baits with my lathe. Used basswood with no problem. The operation was fairly simple as I just found the center of my stock material, Secured it in my live centers and away I went. Consider purchasing a Barracuda chuck as it will hold square stock as well without the aid of a tailstock. :twocents: