buffingtonwa

Where To Find Balsa Crankbait Bodies That Aren't From Netcraft Or Lurepartsonline

Looking to get into luremaking full swing, and I really want to start off with larger sized flat sided cranks. Bought some from both LPO and netcraft (only 7/16" wide, in both sizes and not full bodied enough), but they were not as large as what I want. I think what I'm looking for is a body size about like the Bagley's B-flat, or larger. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've made baits before out of balsa and cedar, and it's just a pain. I like making baits, but not cutting out the bodies, and I'm no good at getting the edges right. Anyway, if anyone has any input on this, maybe a CNC mill that can cut them out in volume or another company that's out there selling something a bit different, it would be greatly appreciated.

I 100% agree with RaburnGuy I have made some very nice wood blanks from nothing but a utility knife and a peice of sandpaper, and still do so to this day. Personally I don't understand how one could make a lure without carving it themselves. Seeing a lure that you carved yourself can make one feel very accomplished, more so than a lure that has only been painted by ones self. I must say though the biggest advantage of carving your own lures is carving a unique lure of your own design. One that could possible revolutionalize lure making itself. You should at least just give it a try, I made my first one in my family room after school one knight.

Nothing like starting with a block of balsa and three grades of sandpaper. Throw in a dremel, a file or two, a carving/exacto knife, and a dust mask if you prefer. Or just a block of balsa and three grades of sandpaper.

Edited by pizza

Yeah, I don't want to do all that, I have before and for me, it's very time consuming. I only make my own lures because what I want isn't sold anymore, so for me, it's all about getting to a finished product as quickly as possible. I'm probably not far from buying my own CNC machine to make what I want.