Sonny.Barile

Urethane Casting Dangers?

I thought about that after doing it. (Duh) Just because it is oderless doesnt mean the vapors arent there. They just dont have a smell. Why do like the smooth cast better?

BTW I didnt do casting in my kitchen (wife would let me have it good)) I did it in a storage room that had a window. I just seemed like the warnings on the Smooth Cast 300 were harsh and the data sheet for Alumilite says it is safe to use in your home.

Edited by Sonny.Barile

I know some guys get real overbearing about safety issues but I'm just stating that urethane plastic is ....well...urethane plastic. I like that the smooth on seems to produce consistent and strong castings. Honestly, I think these companies probably are sourcing through the same manufacturers of the raw chemicals these resins are made of. I've never felt any ill effects working around the urethane resin but I'm usually in my garage with the door at least part way up to provide some ventilation. I thought that the smooth on feather lite was terrible and didn't store well but since I switched to the smooth on smooth cast and added my own MB's (alumilites to be exact) everything has become consistent and predictable. I think alumilite works just fine too. I think starting with an unfilled urethane is best. Next time I may try RPN 40 as I've heard good things and the price is right. I do however always wear a respirator and keep exhaust fans going when I'm running auto clear-that stuff is no joke but the urethane shouldn't be taken too lighty.

Good luck.

JK

I have a huge container of Alumilite MB's also. I used the Alumilite White with MB's to reproduce the large model Skitter Pop. It took me about a dozen parts to get the MB and weighting just right but the end result works great. I can obtain the Smooth Cast 300 locally so it would end up costing half as much as the Alumilite with shipping. So I guess it is a no-brainer.

Did the Smooth Cast have a strong odor?

Really like all of the Smooth On products. No strong odors from any version of their urethanes. Alumilite is too pricy. Havent tried the RPN40. As far as mixing balloons; its a pain. And, they are floaty hazards. Feather Lite, and cut it with 320 until it looks like melted ice cream. Eyeball it. Youll be within a gram for each casting. Good stuff. PITA to stir. I buy a gallon-stir- and transfer to quart sized cans for cutting with the 320. Just follow the yellow/blue label rule. Easy.