Griffond

What Are Flashabou Skirts Made Out Of?

What are Flashabou Skirts made out of? I've been looking at these online for awhile and I looked at them in the store a little bit...then went and looked around at the craft stores a touch... what the heck is this stuff made from? I just ask cause well...I'm kind of cheap since I don't have a ton of money to spend and If I can figure out what it is I'll just make them myself instead of ordering them in premade clumps. Any thoughts anyone?

ok guys here is what I found out; can't find mylar tinsel anywhere in craft stores or anything in my part of minnesota anyway... I was just trying to see if it was available on a roll or something... I was looking at feathers and fake fur at the craft store but didn't buy any... I've used the craft store feathers years ago to tie flies but not with a treble hook setup. And I've never used fake fur in anyway... I usually just eliminate a few squirrels in the yard... any thoughts anyone?

Flashabou is made from a mylar sheet dyed a base color so you get the iridescence and a color. Then the sheet is sliced into 1/16 inch wide strips. I don't know how you would make a jig to do that any cheaper than you can find flashabou in a catalog. when you buy it you get a skein of about 100 strands about 18 inches long folded in half and held together with a small wire tie. I personally would save the thriftyness for bigger ticket items. Fur I'm sure you can get anywhere there is road kill in Minnesota. A lot of my tying fur came from red foxes that couldn't get across a road. Fur you can dye with Rit dye almost any color. If you want silver mylar look at dollar stores for left over Christmas stuff, but it will be wider than flashabou. If you are going to try and dye it you want the clear with the mother of pearl look to it craft store sell it as wrapping paper, its like a see througyh plastic with transparent colors running through it. Here is a link with a picture of it to help you recognize it when you see it.

http://answers.cuteembroidery.com/5023067/Please-someone-explain.html

Hope that helped, good luck.

So I decided to add one more thing to this string... my fiancee gave me an interesting idea... as far as making tinsel skirts goes... anyone ever used tinsel hair extensions? Not the ones made from real hair but the fake ones... you can get them wet and wash them and the whole nine yards and a big bag of them is farely cheap... I thought it was an interesting idea was just asking around to see if anyone had tried this before...

• Like 1

So I decided to add one more thing to this string... my fiancee gave me an interesting idea... as far as making tinsel skirts goes... anyone ever used tinsel hair extensions? Not the ones made from real hair but the fake ones... you can get them wet and wash them and the whole nine yards and a big bag of them is farely cheap... I thought it was an interesting idea was just asking around to see if anyone had tried this before...

Flashabou is much cheaper than the altenatives you're looking at, if you go to Barlows tackle you'll see there are a lot of different kinds of flashabou as they sell a few different types. Flashabou goes a long way and it doesn't cost a fortune, at least not to the point that it would pay to do it yourself, I'm just more of a practical lure maker, I make my baits from scratch by bending wire, pouring heads and making my own skirts but I make them from material that is already made, I have no need to try and make my own material.

Flashabou is much cheaper than the altenatives you're looking at, if you go to Barlows tackle you'll see there are a lot of different kinds of flashabou as they sell a few different types. Flashabou goes a long way and it doesn't cost a fortune, at least not to the point that it would pay to do it yourself, I'm just more of a practical lure maker, I make my baits from scratch by bending wire, pouring heads and making my own skirts but I make them from material that is already made, I have no need to try and make my own material.

+1. Couldn't say any better

Edited by psv

Re: Flashabou

A few thoughts,

You can buy wide plastic ribbon from a craft store and cut it many times lengthwise thus creating your own to your own design requirements while being inexpensive. I am using flashabou/mylar by itself or as an accent piece amongst similar colored bucktail and it works very well.

I have found at a local dollar store gold, silver, blue and purple children's wigs and some decorations (ie birthdays) for kids that were made in China which appear to be made of mylar/tinsel that can be readily converted for use. Each wig is going to give me a supply for two or three winters of lurebuilding. The material appears to be quite durable, especially the stuff found in decorations. Just tested it out last weekend at the lake.

Hope this helps