Fuzzy-Wuzzy

Hinging Pvc Swimbait

If im not mistaken, Diemai had a tutorial on forming a hinge from some sheet metal or metal from a can or something like that. (Im getting old.....They say the second thing to go is the memory, and I cant remember what the first thing was.....)

Took some time to find it.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/16372-sheet-metal-hinges/page__hl__%2Bsheet+%2Bmetal

We all seem to have the same drive to "reinvent the wheel".

I think it was Nathan who came up with hinge that he incorporated in his resin baits, and it worked well.

And JR Hopkins uses some kind of kevlar hinging, I think.

But I think, for us mere mortals, the screw eye and hinge pin is, by far, the easiest, fastest, and most successful hinging method.

Just take a look at the Triple Trout.

Edited by mark poulson

We all seem to have the same drive to "reinvent the wheel".

I think it was Nathan who came up with hinge that he incorporated in his resin baits, and it worked well.

And JR Hopkins uses some kind of kevlar hinging, I think.

But I think, for us mere mortals, the screw eye and hinge pin is, by far, the easiest, fastest, and most successful hinging method.

Just take a look at the Triple Trout.

But Mark! I been working on it all day and still can't get this new wheel thingy to turn....

DSCN4550.jpg

LOL....

DSCN4547.jpg

I'm not convinced those fish really care if we ever get one that will chase its tail.

DSCN4536.jpg

That's enough for today. Wheel making is hard work. Still needs to be cleaned up a bit and the joints squared.

When I was a kid, we'd visit the "folks up home." That meant we were leaving Houston and coming up to East Texas where all the "kinfolk" lived. My aunt had a farm pond ringed by trees. You could walk back there, toss a grasshopper in, and see the bluegills race across the top of the water.

Of course, when me and grandpa was fishing, if I was catching more, he'd swear I was using dumb grasshoppers cuz his was smart enough to get out of the way. Once when he had caught a few in a row, I turned it around. I sez, "Looks like you are getting all the dumb grasshoppers now."

"Nope," he sez, "My grasshoppers are just prettier."

Maybe I'll give up on making this a smart fish and just make it a pretty fish.

Hope everybody had a great day! :D

Mark

I must admit that also tried reinventing the wheel. I was trying to create what I thought would be the most freely moving joint yet, but failed. You may have seen me post about it a few weeks ago. I was trying to use bundled braided line. It didnt work and I have elected to use screw eyes on the next one.

I sure didn't mean to discourage anyone here from trying different hinging.

I think we've all flirted with different methods, and materials. I know I have.

I've tried, over the years, to find stuff that is faster, easier, and that works.

I like to build, but I like fishing better.

Less time building=more time fishing for me.

• Like 1

I sure didn't mean to discourage anyone here from trying different hinging.

I think we've all flirted with different methods, and materials. I know I have.

I've tried, over the years, to find stuff that is faster, easier, and that works.

I like to build, but I like fishing better.

Less time building=more time fishing for me.

Mark I agree with you. In my way of doing things the key is simplicity.

That swim bait wasn't anywhere near in my mind until this topic started. That was a first. Probably a last too.

Most everything I work do is in the 2 to 3 inch range and that is a 6 inch bait. I was surprised at the time it took to lay it out, cut each joint, sand and start fitting. I like to build but Holey Moley! Those are a lot of work. And when I consider the time versus the option of cutting a slot and installing screw eyes, Gimme the screw eyes any day.

If it weren't for people like you who say 'this is easier,' I can see somebody building a bonfire with swim baits. :yay: