CNC Molds N Stuff

Gonna Try To Shoot More Ducks

This fall I plan to try and get out to http://www.tackleund...ter-some-ducks/

I don't know what variety I'll get. Probably some greenies, and a cinnamon or two. Decent chance for widgeon and a fair chance for mallards. I'l take what the winds and my meager calling ability bring me.

ANYWAY... My reason for posting here is to ask if any of you guys use duck feathers in any of your patterns. I'ld be glad to send you some rather than let them go to waste in exchange for some misc flies in trout and bass patterns. (Mostly bass patterns.) I'm not a hard corps duck hunter, so don't expect much, but I bet if I go out a couple times I'll accidentally knock down a couple. I do shoot dove and gamble quail prior to duck season, but I can't imagine anybody wants those feathers for anything.

Selling or trading duck parts (including feathers) is in violation of the Migratory Bird Act and is punishable by 1 year in federal prison. I do not suggest it.

I was concerned as I have seen duck feathers for sale various places including prominent if infamous in some circles places like Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. I took the time to research your comment. If you had been correct I would have posted to withdraw my offer.

It would seem that "parts" may not be bartered, sold, or traded. (ie leg, kneck, head, wing) It also appears that feathers may be for several intended purposes including fly tying per:

50 CFR 20 Migratory Bird Hunting

http://www.fws.gov/l...s/50_CFR_20.pdf

The PDF is found on the US Fish and Wildlife Service website. The pertinent section is on page 18 section 20.91 and 20.92.

Basically it says those legally taken can be used as such. I don't know about federal regulation, but Az (where I live) regs do say it is illegal to allow any edible portion to go to waste. This would preclude shooting them "just" to get their feathers.

Here is the section referred to:

§ 20.91 Commercial use of feathers.

Any person may possess, purchase, sell, barter, or transport for the making of fishing flies,

bed pillows, and mattresses, and for similar commercial uses the feathers of migratory waterfowl

(ducks, geese, brant, and swans) killed by hunting pursuant to this part, or seized and condemned

by Federal or State game authorities, except that:

( a ) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter for millinery or

ornamental use the feathers of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part; and

( b ) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter mounted specimens

of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part.

HISTORY: [38 FR 22021, Aug. 15, 1973, as amended at 45 FR 70275, Oct. 23, 1980]

§ 20.92 Personal use of feathers or skins.

Any person for his own use may possess, transport, ship, import, and export without a permit the

feathers and skins of lawfully taken migratory game birds.

You can buy and sell them to stuff a pillow or tie a fly, but you are not allowed to make earrings out of them or use them in hat making, or use them for any other purely ornamental purpose.

Edited by Bob La Londe