lurebaz

Pvc Virgin

Hello from across the pond, i have been a member of this forum for quite a while and decided to post as i am about to order some pvc after being inspired by the posts on here. What i am wondering is how dense is pvc? I do not want to order some if it sinks quickly therefore meaning i cannot weight the lures as i want to. I want to replicate a swimbait i made in cherry, will this be possible?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Barry

There is a few types of PVC, a trim board I like to use as do others on the site, and the decking material. The trim board floats nicely and can be weighted as necessary to have the bait sit in the water properly and the decking material which is much more dense and doesn't need as much weight to get it to sink. I hope this helps.

Cherry is a medium density hardwood, in my experience.

You should be able to duplicate it, no problem.

Not all artificial decking PVC material is the same. Check if the type you can get is buoyant before you buy. TREX, for example, sinks like a rock.

AZEK decking, first recommended to me by JR Hopkins, is the most buoyant material I've found that is still strong. I don't know what's available in your area. But give whatever manuf. you find a call and talk to a technical rep. about whether the material is buoyant enough to use to make baits.

Typically, it needs to be no more dense than poplar to be able to float the hinges, hangers and hooks you need.