mark poulson

Line Tie/tow Point Height

Last week I made three PVC cranks, the same as the 1/2oz. Bomber Switchback that dives to 12'+-.

I used 1/8" lexan for the bills, and I bent sst wires for the line tie/tow points and passed them through a drilled hole in the bills, and then back into the lure bodies.

I use the same template for all three bills and, although I hand shaped each lure, they are very close in shape and weight before ballasting.

I took them out for a swim yesterday.

While the all swam and dove really well (dumb luck), I noticed one had a much tighter wiggle than the other two.

Upon closer examination, I realized the wire bend that held the line tie split ring was taller, farther about the surface of the bill, on the tighter wiggling lure.

That particular lure body was a gram heavier than the other two, so it has only two grams of ballast added between the front hook hanger and the bill. The other two have ballast both in front of, and behind, the front hook hanger.

Normally, I would expect having the additional ballast behind the hook hanger would damp down the lure's wiggle, but the one with the ballast only in front, but the taller line tie, had the tightest wiggle.

It was so tight that I had trouble feeling it through the line, and had to run it beside the boat to be sure it was wiggling at all. That's when I noticed how tight the wiggle was.

The other two had a much wider wiggle when I ran them nest to the boat.

Sooo.....have any of you guys played around with varying the height of the line tie/tow point, and seen any effects on lure action?

I've seen a tighter wiggle in the same lure I've made before. I thought it was because I probably had the ballast closer to the line tie. Just a theory, but by changing where the line tie is could change the center of gravity, even if you just bend the toe eye up or down. I would think the closer your weights are placed to the pivot point the tighter wobble you can get. Probably not the case in most since there are so many things that make the lure wiggle but just a thought.

Mark

As i understand the description you have given, it is due to the weight distribution. Moving ballast away from the center of gravity and to the rear will cause the bait to have a wider wobble. As far as line tie being taller, i do not think this will have much affect on wobble. i have done a few tests with extended line ties. Moving the line tie closer or further away from lure body along the bill will affect wobble significantly but this was not changed by a taller line tie. To test this, you may be able to shorten the long line tie by pulling wires from the bottom of bib matching other line lies height.

To keep my thru bill line ties consistent (looking pretty), I use a small nail to form the line tie.

Edited by littleriver

Mark

As i understand the description you have given, it is due to the weight distribution. Moving ballast away from the center of gravity and to the rear will cause the bait to have a wider wobble. As far as line tie being taller, i do not think this will have much affect on wobble. i have done a few tests with extended line ties. Moving the line tie closer or further away from lure body along the bill will affect wobble significantly but this was not changed by a taller line tie. To test this, you may be able to shorten the long line tie by pulling wires from the bottom of bib matching other line lies height.

To keep my thru bill line ties consistent (looking pretty), I use a small nail to form the line tie.

After reading what you said, I think it may be the ballast location, too.

This bait had ballast only between the hook hanger and the bill, while the other two, with the wider wiggles, have it before and behind.

I like the tighter wiggle. It's not as common, so it may get bit more. Fingers crossed!

I'll try your nail wrap for my next batch of line ties.

Thanks.

Hey Mark,

I know with baits with the line tie directly in the nose you can increase the wiggle by bending the line tye down.I would assume (you know what they say about assuming!!..lol)a taller line tye in the bill would be a tighter action...Nathan

I bend the line tie down on rapalas for walleye becouse it increases the wiggle and the walleye hit it better then one without the mod

I've heard that before, but I always thought it referred to baits with line ties on the nose above the bill.

Sounds like, the close to the bill, the shorter the arc of the wiggle, and the more exaggerated it becomes. That make sense.

I've always wondered why some lures have the line tie recess into a small depression in the bill, and this would explain it, because that would increase wiggle even more.

On the other side of the coin, extending the line tie seems to tighten the wiggle, which is great for cold water bass.

Edited by mark poulson