bwardo2010

M-f Custom Plastic Worm Mold Kit.

Hey guys,

I am currently new to the website, however have been fishing for a long time. I am on the Southern Illinois University - Carbondale's fishing team and currently go through a lot of plastics in the tournaments that we fish.

With that being said, I am looking into getting my own plastic making kit. I found this one and seemed to be pretty legit with all the options. I am just wondering if it is worth it to get this one. It is only $75, and I do believe that is reasonably priced.

It comes with

1 pint Super Soft Plastic (8116SS)

1 pint Regular Liquid Plastic (2116LP)

2 Pouring Pans (32PP)

2-2oz Powder Plastic Color

any 6-1oz Liquid Colors

any 2-Worm Molds (excluding 22214CC cape cod)

any 2-2oz Polyester Glitter

any 2-2oz Scented Worm Oil

Instruction Booklet and Price List

and another free mold.

thanks,

Bward

I know you are on a tight budget, but I would not reccomend open pour molds for a serious tourney fisherman. I dont think you will be satisfied with the finished baits.

Bears and Caney Creek have an Injection starter kit and I would recomend that.

I know others will disagree but I got bored real quick with hand pouring. I know the fish wont care, but I still prefer the professional look of an injected bait.

http://www.bearsbaits.com/Starter-Kits_c_29.html

http://www.caneycreekmolds.com/Kits-and-Certificates_c_24.html

....Bill

Edited by MonteSS

An open pour mold has one flat side. Injected baits are fully round.

Its harder to get a thin appendage , tail, or craw with open pour. Injection tails are very thin and have better action.

What baits do you use??

...Bill

Edited by MonteSS

If you're looking to make plastics for your tourney fishing....you'll need several hundred dollars just to get started. Things to consider:

A pint of plastic is enough for a single tourney, pouring baits of different styles and colors.

A heating source like a microwave or presto pot and you can't use one you also use to heat food in.

Pyrex type cups or similar

ventilation/respiration systems (use search feature)

1-5 gallons of plastic

colorants

flake

worm bags

injector

molds

learning curve (free but takes time and material unless all you throw is black)

I'm sure I've missed a few.

I'm not trying to discourage you because this is a fantastic hobby and some even turn it into a business. If you purpose is to save money immediately and supply your tourney needs it won't happen immediately and a little bit more than a $75 start up cost. Just want to let you know what you're getting into. Welcome, good luck and remember.....all of your answers can be found right here!

Edited by 152nd Street Baits

I like to use worms, ribbons and zooms trick worm.. however I use all sorts of stuff..

I understand it is not cheaper in the beginning.. and I am getting tired of finding something I like then it disappearing..

Would it be worth to get started though? I mean yeah I have to shell out more money in the beginning, but I feel like I would know each time what my bait with do.. Then in the long run save some money and maybe get it big enough that I could sponsor my team which would be huge..

Thanks,

Bward

Go for it! Ask all the questions you need to right here. The good thing about the aluminum molds is, they do not lose value. Any aluminum mold you don't or can't use, just drop the original price by 10% w/free shipping and it's usually gone in a day or so. Just think things through a bit before you decide what you get and try to order all at once to save on shipping.

Is there a better starting kit? I have read on some posts here that people recommend starting with hand pouring because it is like a "right to passage." I don't want to start too advanced, and would like to learn everything possible. Also, what is the best plastic, and respiration system?

I would decide on what baits you want to make and get those molds. I hand poured for many years and then, when hand injection came about I tried it. Trust me.....get a medium injector and some molds. You will be making professional looking baits from the get go. Get the colors and flake you will be using and maybe some highlight powder and/or some pearl. I don't know where you will be pouring/injecting but do a search for respirators and ventilation. There is much written about it. There is more so maybe others will chime in. Ask questions!

I would also strongly suggest you go straight to injection if you have the funds. The starter kits from Caney Creek are a great way to go. The 6" skinny carrot is a great wacky, texas rig, jig worm. One of my favorites! You will get a VERY nice bait quickly from this mold!

Inject 350 degree plastic, slowly with ONLY hand pressure! ALWAYS wear your gloves. Make sure you have good ventilation. Use a NEW Pyrex measuring cup to heat your plastic in an extra microwave (don't use your kitchen microwave!!!). READ ALL the safety advice on this and Caney Creek site.

http://www.caneycreekmolds.com/Kit--Injection-Wacky_p_252.html

Watermelon/red flake is my all time favorite

Clear silver flake is a great jerk bait.

Black/blue flake is another good combo.

Bears Baits has good starter kits also. Go with something "simple" to start...like a Stik Bait (Senko type)

http://www.bearsbaits.com/Stik-Bait-Kit-Worm-Mold-Kit_p_170.html

I think most folks would agree that Bears-Basstackle-Caney Creek are all great folks to do business with.

WORD OF WARNING: This is a VERY additive hobby! Do NOT get into it to "save" money!! But if you want the pride of making your own, custom colors, exact colors the way you want them...then go for it. I'm 99.99% sure you won't regret it....and as was mentioned you can resell your mold and injector and recoup most of your expense if you don't like it.

How about you and a couple of your fishing buddies go in on the equipment?

True...IF you use salt. I don't.

I prefer to use a weighted hook, and WHEN the bass throws the bait (they always do!)...I can find it floating and use it again.

I use my Stick baits as jerk baits (a lot) ...so again...I prefer a weighted jig head.

I also use them (with a spinning rod) on top of the slop..especially deadly when the bass are trapping minnows against the weeds. So I want them to float.

That's the other advantage of making your own baits....you can do it the way you want to! Your not stuck with the colors or density that the manufacturer wants to give you.

Good advice but I would highly reccomend against starting with a Senko type bait. These require heavy salt which is quite different than normal baits in viscosity and color. Get experience first before trying them.

...Bill

they absolutely 100% DO NOT require salt, that is the best thing about this hobby, we can do what ever we want with the baits. they make weighted wacky hooks for a reason.

Hi guys, I'm new to this site and making my own plastics. I followed earlier advice and bought the Bear Baits stick bait kit to get started. I use senko style worms a lot so it was the perfect kit for me. I like to use a laminate worm and am hoping to be able to make those. I saw a plate on the site to make grub laminates but nothing for the stick worms. Any advice on how to make laminates? Could I just buy the grub plate and use that or should I hand pour the first color then inject the second after the first color hardens? Thanks in advance for any advice like I said I'm a rookie!!

Depending on the exact design of the mold stick worms laminate pretty darn easy with a two color injection block.  I have an 18 cavity 5" and a 23 cavity 4" of my own design.  I get 1-3 per shot that don't look "really good," and they still catch fish. 

Depending on the exact design of the mold stick worms laminate pretty darn easy with a two color injection block.  I have an 18 cavity 5" and a 23 cavity 4" of my own design.  I get 1-3 per shot that don't look "really good," and they still catch fish. 

So Bob, Do you have one of the 18 cavity injection molds for sale? ;>]

This can be a very fun very rewarding hobbie, but you needs a ton of cash, (if you want the professional look)

And even more time. You can make your molds from baits disappearing off the shelves but that takes even more time then pouring/injecting. If you just need some custom colors there are a ton of guys that will pour baits for you.