JaguarJim

Problems With Top Coat, Help!

I tell y'all what... I love me some search function!! I typed in "acetone" and it took me to a thread ( which actually turns out to be more appropriate for my question here...) that put me somewhat at ease about having used acetone to thin my D2T seal coat. It's not a killer mistake, it's just that DA is a much better product to use. The good news is that I already have a full can of it so I'll be ready on the topcoat...

I've read a few posts where some folks said they used acetone to clean up their brush after applying an epoxy top coat, but I don't remember anyone saying they used it to thin the mix. Most epoxy is pretty forgiving as to what we add to it and also that it really wasn't designed as a lure coating. I repaired a 3/4 oz. spinnerbait a little while ago that had a chip in the finish. Mixed up some epoxy and thinned it slightly with denatured alcohol. Once I had the alcohol incorporated into the epoxy I added a couple drops of white paint to the mix so it would match the original finish. It looks good and seems to be setting up well. Won't know how it holds up until I fish it for a while, but I've got high hopes. :yes:

Ben

That's fine with a decoupage epoxy like Etex, but I wouldn't try it with something like D2T or Bob Smith epoxy. Warming those will only shorten an already limited working time.

Ben

Ben i hit my baits with a hair dryer after applying d2t and it levels out the d2t on the bait really well and also gives me a little more work time so you can brush off any excess that runs as you turn it and hit it again to smooth it back out.becouse its not heat that causes it to harden it a chem. reaction of the two as there mixed

Ben i hit my baits with a hair dryer after applying d2t and it levels out the d2t on the bait really well and also gives me a little more work time so you can brush off any excess that runs as you turn it and hit it again to smooth it back out.becouse its not heat that causes it to harden it a chem. reaction of the two as there mixed

Yes, but that chemical reaction causes heat. Just for kicks mix up a small batch of D2T or Bob Smith epoxy. Then divide it into two equal amounts. Let one cure normally and hit the other one with a hair dryer or heat gun until it is warm to the touch. Then set back and see which one sets up first. You might be surprised.

Ben

Me too. I didn't like the looks of lure #2 this morning so I sanded down with 400 grit, mixed up some D2T and a couple of drops of DA and was AMAZED at how well it went on and looked.... Until I hit it with the heat gun... What I learned was to leave well enough ALONE!!! I had it beautiful and screwed it up. Will sand down tomorrow and try again, sans heat.

Success!! More or less anyway... I decreased the amount of DA, recoated and except for just a couple of very minor dust boogers this coal really looks glass smooth. I'll let this dry overnight and tomorrow will do my dunk test to determine ballast location(s)... Thanks for everyone's help and input!!

BTH