Firechief

Vintage Lure Design

I have been wondering if some of the "old" baits would be interesting to make. Baits like the Pico Perch, River Runt, Midge-Oreno might be just the ticket in a lake that has heavy fishing pressure. Surely these baits would still be productive in catching fish. I have seen many different color combo in researching these baits that look very interesting.

Just wondering out loud. Does anyone have any experiance at these types of baits??

I can't help you on those baits, but I can offer my personal opinion. I was given some old lures from the 1950's when my uncle died. They flat out hammered fish. Fishing and it's marketing has become what catches the fisherman, not what catches the fish. I also believe that fish don't always hit same thing they got caught on before. Fishing lures other fisherman are not using will give you more fish and success.

Here is one for you. You ever notice and check out the saltwater fishing forums. They are using the same lures with modification that where made back in the 50's 60's and 70's and nailing fish, because they work and those guys don't watch fishing shows as heavily as bass fisherman. They know old school works and keep using the tried and true things.

So in short, YES! They will work and you should make some!

Edited by archeryrob

Diemai makes quite a few lures that resemble the vintage lures. I don't think he copies every detail, but gets inspiration from some of the old designs. Check out some of his posts in both the hard baits forum and in the gallery as well. He's quite the craftsman.

Ben

I've made some copies of CC Pikies, Bass Orenos, one Charmer, Sonics, and some 3 and 5 hook Neverfails but my favorite "old time" bait that I have built has got to be the Punkinseed. It has a beautiful action to it. It has a slow, wide swing and a slow wobble.

Find your favorite and research it. Then build it.

Gene

@ Firechief

Just came across this thread this morning , now I've got the time for writing :

As Ben kindly wrote before , I've made quite a few of those oldtime designs , .....most likely just out of curiousity about how they would swim .

By that time I absolutely had no idea of all of the many vintage lure models around , also did not have internet back then .

Until one day back in the 1990's I've seen a lure collectors book in a British mailorder catalog , instantly got me an issue and soon started to carve some lures after the book pictures .

Some more books and shop adresses were mentioned in that book which enabled me to obtain a few more books about vintage lures , thus more lure models of mine came into being , ......some of these led into unforgetable catching memories of my angling carreer , ......in particular to mention the "Whirligig" , the "Lucky13" , the "Lazy Ike" , the "Bass Oreno" and the old "Rush Tango" , ........all lure models that I had never heard of by that time .

I always carry at least one of the above mentioned homemade lure models in my tacklebag EVERY season , ...all of them have caught me pike over here I Germany before and surely would in future as well .

I have also written about some of them in different threads in here , ........gotta check if I could find them back for you , if interested :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/13043-new-banana-lure/page__hl__%2Bbanana+%2Blures__fromsearch__1

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/17724-my-latest-lure-test-video/page__hl__%20rush%20%20tango

greetz , Dieter :yay:

I do a lot of tournament fishing for Bass. ArcheryBob is absolutely correct. Ironically, you don't even have to go as far back as River Runts, Lucky 13's, Bass Oreno's, Etc.

Older Cordell Spots, Cordell Big O's, Cordell Longbill Spots, various discontinued lures, Etc we're all designed with amazing fish catching properties- and are currently VERY rarely seen/"felt" by the newest generation of Bass/Fish. Todays younger generation have NO idea that there might be something better, (or as good) to use than a $16 LC 1.5! (Amazing!)

In many cases, when it comes to (tournament) lures,"What's old is new, and what's "new" is old news". (lol)

John b