Hey everyone,

I'm working on my swimbaits and can't decide on which fish pattern I should do next. I've already done my rainbow trouts a couple times now and want to try something new and challenging.

The fish I'm thinking of; Native Cutthroat Trout, Brook Trout, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass.

I put a picture of my rainbow trout so you can see my style of painting. Also a picture of my new swimbait that is needing the paint job.

I'm leaning towards painting a cutthroat trout but still like those other fish patterns. Let me know guys, thanks.

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout 3 joint Left side.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout 3 joint Right side.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

Fuzzy-Trout Rainbow.jpg

cutthroat trout.jpg

Brook trout.jpg

yellow perch.jpg

largemouth bass.jpg

post-29581-0-06951500-1333640121_thumb.jpg

post-29581-0-03101300-1333640132_thumb.jpg

post-29581-0-20410400-1333640137_thumb.jpg

post-29581-0-51581400-1333640555_thumb.jpg

post-29581-0-92492100-1333640665_thumb.jpg

post-29581-0-46270600-1333640669_thumb.jpg

post-29581-0-79094700-1333640696_thumb.jpg

brook trout would be a good one for up in your neck of the woods,i just finished a brown trout glider thats not to hard to paint also the perch would be good but it looks like the bait you want to paint looks like a trout pattern,not much diff. between the cutthroat and the rainbow just a red slash on the bottom of the throat on each side

Edited by crankpaint

I would say it depends on the fish you're targeting. Bass like trout, proven fact. Here in Clear Lake the trout swimbait works great, but there are no trout in this body of water. Go figure. What ever species your targeting, go with the forage for that fish.

First off I want to say I agree and disagree with bassguy. I agree that bass like trout and to match the hatch. But I disagree that Clearlake doesnt have them. I dont want to jack this thread but there are trout in Clear Lake. I have caught 2 of them and talk to any of the old timers and they might tell you about it if your nice! They were planted years ago but did not fair well due to the drastic temp changes. In addition the lake stays too hot in the summer and only being 50ft deep in its deepest place(baring the legendary 500ft hole) the trout have no where to go to stay cool. The two that I have caught were very sickly looking with sores and leaches all over.

That said a bass is a predator. Color is one of the last things I choose most of the time unless they are keying on a specific prey. If you want confidence in your bait match the hatch. My top confidence patterns are;

1. Any trout pattern

2. Bluegil (for your style lure isnt the best choice)

3. Baby Bass

4. Ayu

5. Hitch

Hey Guys,

I have been painting trout patterns for years on big swim baits, and one of my most successful was one a friend of mine requested, that we never named but was his idea of a CADFG planter trout. It was dark and completely unnatural looking, with dark splotches and pure white fin tips, (to mimic a fungus eaten fin ) oversized black spots and green and light brown blotches on the back. It looked TERRIBLE!! It also caught about a dozen fish over ten pounds that year. I painted quite a few of them after that.

bodfish