BryanC

New Clear Coat

Hey guys thought I'd share a new clear coat I've been tryin out its called max Seal its a water based poly hybrid clear coat it dries crystal clear and is pretty hard when cured i put three coats on and it really seams to hold up well i dipped some rattle baits and jerk baits in it and went out with them and they seem no worse for the wear and they were bangin off some good chunk rock for those smallies waitin to eat um up

That stuff has been on here before. It doesn't work well for lures. It turns milky white after being in the water. I got some and tested it years ago and it was a waste of time and money. I got my money back from the guy and gave the jug away.

That eBay site is ran by the manufacture ...he would answer any question you had prior to purchase but when you had problems or questions after purchase he wouldn't take or return calls .The stuff is weird ... I even tried sealing wood with it...One time it would penetrate just fine..The next time it would just puddle on the surface. Same thing when using it as a top coat..One time it would cover just fine and the next it would puddle. Gene ( Lincoya) had the same problem with the stuff...Nathan

It's a water borne urethane and looks similar to one Dick Nite tested last year, and one sold by Target Coatings. Some guys use and like it. When I tried some, the problem was that a penetration of the coating caused by a scratch was followed by the underlying acrylic paint soaking up water and delaminating the finish. It's not quite as hard as epoxy or MCU and It's water resistant, not water proof so it will turn white and soften when exposed to water for long periods, including contact with a wet deck carpet, etc. I used it on an outdoor wood sign and it seemed to work well and has lasted a couple of years. Maybe it would work better on a bait painted with lacquer or Auto-Air acrylic, I don't know. You have to consider that all the coatings that make up your finish have to be compatible and work together. The water borne urethane didn't work in my coating regimen, but it might in yours.

ive used something similar, that clouds up after 24 hours in a fish tank and stays like that for 48 hours in a tank with various scratches and bite marks from toothy critters but after a few hours of sitting out of water, the hardness and clarity returns. great thing was that, clear was back to being just as hard with no ill effects with bite marks going all the way through the paint. still use it today and will continue to use it.

Edited by gekhang