burnerator

Has Anyone Used A Product Called Alumisol Or Alunilite

Thanks for the help guys,I was thinking more along the lines of the liquid he poured over the two swim baits to create the mold and then poured two different colors of something into that mold after it had hardened into a flexible rubber block and after that cooled he removed the two swimbaits he made.

Yep Silicone Rubber mold. It can get expensive compared to POP or bondo. Then there are different types of silicone mold materials. Do yourself a favor and do an internet search for Silicone Rubber mold making and learn about it. It's a whole 'nother world to explore.

Make Lure ("easily mold & cast your own fishing lures") web site = http://www.makelure.com/

This site offers Alumilite products (including plastisol and silicone) and has video tutorials (how-to's) by Larry Dahlberg. Make Lure is a division of Alumilite Corp. which is based in Kalamazoo, MI.

Although I've never used them myself, from what I've read on this board, there are several satisfied users of Alumilite products. I've compared their web posted plastisol and silicone prices to other suppliers and consider them to be mid-range (meaning not the lowest or the highest priced).

Edited by rixon529

The RTV silicone (Stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization), is a cool product. I have used both RTV and Alumilite Resin for projects. There are different types of RTVs out there. Watch out because the low cost RTV can be poor quality. I believe there are different degrees of density between RTV silicones. Don't quote me on that, because I am not a chemist and will never claim to be. ;) A cool tip to get the air bubbles out is to purchase a vacuum sealer (food saver) and a square dish (designed for the vacuum sealers). Pour the RTV in the dish, put the top on the square pan/canister and start it up! Be careful not to fill it up more than half way. You don't want to suck RTV in the vacuum line. It is a pain to get out (I know first hand). Also, if you don't need the whole canister filled with RTV (you probably won't) use clay in the empty space to make a smaller mold inside the pan. Good luck with your projects!