Dcrosby3

Making My Own Lures

Okay, so where do I start? Well a buddy of mine and I decided that we really want to start making our own lures. Both of us have grown up fishing and it has become just part of who we are. We both recently acquired a decent chunk of money and want to start a business of some sort making lures because I mean, it's what we love doing, so why not make some money out of it along with having fun? I really do not know where to start though, AND don't know if it is even a good idea. I do know that it is something I am very interested in, and at the very least would love to just be able to use my own lures. I'm tired of buying the same old rapalas and other crankbaits. So if anyone could give me any ideas on where to start, and if starting a business is even a realistic goal to aim for I would appreciate it. Thanks!

If your trying to make lures for sale the best place to start would be to learn how to build them. And the best place to start learning how to build lures is to use the search feature on this site. The archives contain more information about building lures than any place I've found on the internet. It's all in one place and all it takes is a click of your mouse.

Ben

First have either one of you ever built your own lures before?... What type of lures are you wanting to make?Is this lure business going to be your only source of income?...The first thing you have to do when starting a business is write a business plan.That in it's self is a major under taking to do one right.

I can tell you that the lure business is a very competitive place...You defiantly need to do your research ( your business plan will require that)...Nathan

Well I've never personally made any of my own but my friend has dabbled. I've been doing quite a bit of research on all of it though and feel confident that I could catch on quick. I'm just worried about the chance that I might not catch on and this whole thing is just too far-fetched or something. I mean what are your guys' opinion on the difficulty of it?

oh, and we have no preference as to what kind of lures to make as of now. I mean, I really like using crankbaits and am especially interested in learning how to make them myself, BUT, it seems as if they take a lot of time and that it would be difficult to make enough of them.

My first thought is you guys need to spend time doing this as a hobby for a while before you even consider opening a business.The equipment needed to pour plastics or pour spinnerbaits is very different or the equipment needed to do wooden cranks or are you going to use PVC or are you going to pour them from foam?.... You have way to many unanswered questions to even consider a business...Nathan

1) build crankbaits. 2) build crankbaits that catch fish. 3) build crankbaits in quantity that catch fish and are attractive enough to sell to experienced fishermen.

You get there one step at a time. I've been doing it for 12 yrs and still have things to learn about step 2. I wouldn't dream of selling crankbaits until I could produce great looking, fish catching crankbaits in quantity. Actually, I wouldn't dream of selling crankbaits anyway - there are too many hassles, too many expenses, and too little income to be made for the effort involved. But I'm a happy camper living in step 2.

Dcrosby3,

Now is not the time to risk your newfound wealth on a business you know nothing about. Especially lure making.

Aside from the already established commercial companies and the successful boutique builders, there are a ton of overseas companies making knockoffs that catch fish, and are incredibly cheap.

I know two people out here in SoCal who started their own rod companies. They are both very accomplished tournament anglers, and have worked in the rod industry with several prominent rod manufacturers in product development.

They both told me, independently, that it cost them a lot to start their own rod lines. Both are successful, but it came at a price. Both have a warehouse full of early rods that are trash, and they paid for them out of pocket. In one case, $50,000 worth of worthless crap from a supplier

who didn't have quality control, and delivered a load of useless rods.

Both have gone through several generations of rods to come up with the successful rods they sell today, but it cost them both to get where they are.

"School is expensive". One of my old bosses used to say that every time I screwed up, and had to work for free to fix it.

If I were your father, or just your friend, I'd tell you to put the money in a credit union, or somewhere else safe, and save it for when you really need it.

It's a lot easier to spend than it is to earn.

Dcrosby3,

Now is not the time to risk your newfound wealth on a business you know nothing about. Especially lure making.

Aside from the already established commercial companies and the successful boutique builders, there are a ton of overseas companies making knockoffs that catch fish, and are incredibly cheap.

I know two people out here in SoCal who started their own rod companies. They are both very accomplished tournament anglers, and have worked in the rod industry with several prominent rod manufacturers in product development.

They both told me, independently, that it cost them a lot to start their own rod lines. Both are successful, but it came at a price. Both have a warehouse full of early rods that are trash, and they paid for them out of pocket. In one case, $50,000 worth of worthless crap from a supplier

who didn't have quality control, and delivered a load of useless rods.

Both have gone through several generations of rods to come up with the successful rods they sell today, but it cost them both to get where they are.

"School is expensive". One of my old bosses used to say that every time I screwed up, and had to work for free to fix it.

If I were your father, or just your friend, I'd tell you to put the money in a credit union, or somewhere else safe, and save it for when you really need it.

It's a lot easier to spend than it is to earn.

Mark, that is very good and very sound advice. It took a lot of years to learn what you just said.

Nathan, more good advice.

Bob, you too. Good advice.

Guys, listen to them do your research and think long and hard before investing in something that may cost you your fortune if it doesn't work out. Nathan is right IMHO. Do it as a hobby for a while make sure that you really like it. There is a lot to learn and Its a lot of fun when you get it right. It is also a lot of time spent with not a lot of return for your effort. Then there is the red tape, IRS, Business taxes, excise taxes, sales taxes to collect and pay. Bookkeeping, accounting fees. Using Lead? EPA to deal with. I am sure that I left out many things.

A few years ago, I thought I wanted to start up a small business making lures. I got discouraged really quick once I started doing my research. I think had I done so that I would not have enjoyed making lures anymore and am pretty sure that I would have not have had any time to use and enjoy what I would have made. I decided to just stay poor and happy and keep it as a hobby.

Not trying to discourage you and it can be done. Just be sure that you are willing to give it your all before you invest everything you have. As mark said, Its a lot easier and faster to spend it than it is to earn it.

My :twocents: worth.

Good luck whatever you decide.

John