bassbum85

Wire For Swimbaits

13 posts in this topic

Kinda on one of the topics already and wanted to know what the difference between stainless steel and galvanized steel is in relation to using them for swimbaits. Thanks for any help.

Steven

Galvanizing is there to help regular steel hold up better to the elements. I've never seen it used in swimbaits before. Over time the galvanized coating will break down if exposed. The metal under will eventually rust especially if you use the metal for joints or hook hangars.

I think the benefits of using stainless out weigh anything that galvanizing has to offer. Higher grade stainless will not rust and it is stronger.

1 person likes this

Like Fishsticks says- Stainless is better. Not saying you can't use other wires but sooner or later you too will come to rely on stainless as a preferred material for it's corrosion resistance and strength.

I can think of one big con for using aluminum. It's diameter to strength ratio is not even in the same ball park as stainless. You would have to use a vastly larger diameter aluminum wire to get the same strength as stainless.

Ben

Hey guys,

My vote is for stainless. Although a bit harder to bend (and less forgiving if you make a mistake) it , by far holds up the best to the rigors of fishing, and the environment.

bodfish

Thanks for ask the info and opinions guys. I am going to stick with stainless but was happy to see others reasoning behind why.

I use stainless everything for my Swimbaits, that way I know I have the best possible items in terms of quality, as mentioned previously SS Steel is very strong for it's diameter.

Helen and Rollies Musky Shop is a very good source ofr stainless wire and large stainless screw eyes.

I have heard alot of good thing about brass wire Larry Dahlberg uses it for his Mr Wiggley line tie and I have heard a number of people using it for crank bait line ties because it is easier to tune a bait with it.

But I think for pure strength stainless can't be beat.

You can get various grades of stainless. The 304 locking wire sold at Harbor Freight is ductile enough for tuning but still many times stronger in tensile than brass wire. Also, Im not sure what kind of water you fish in but even the slightest brackish content will kill all but stainless.

Use stainless, you don't have to use the tempered wire unless you want to, I use mostly the ductile stainless for balsa crankbait harnesses, there is no reason to use galvanized, as it will rust eventually. I've used brass, and copper too, but the ductile stainless is stronger.