Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rapalaoutlet

Epoxy Coating With Hinges?!?!

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys was wondering how i can clear coat my jointed lures without the epoxy "sticking" the joint. I thought i saw someone say once that we can use acetone... how does that help? is there anything else we can use? my epoxy i use is Envirotex lite.

When I made jointed wooden baits, I coated the insides faces of the joints of the unassembled sections with D2T first, lapping it out onto the faces about 1/4" for lap.

Then I assembled the baits, put them on my drying wheel, and coated the faces with two coats of Etex.

I use a screw eye and hinge pin system for my joints.

If you get epoxy in the hinge joints and it sets up, you're in for a nightmare try to get it out again, unless you can disassemble the baits again to clean out the hinges.

I use a screw eye inside a screw eye for hinges and epoxy them in when the bait is completely finished. However, I can still get epoxy in the hinge when installing them and when I do, I use a micro drill bit chucked in a Dremel to zip it out. Can't say if that would be a fix for hinges incorporating hinge pins.