Epoxy Coating With Hinges?!?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rapalaoutlet

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hi guys was wondering how i can clear coat my jointed lures without the epoxy "sticking" the joint. I thought i saw someone say once that we can use acetone... how does that help? is there anything else we can use? my epoxy i use is Envirotex lite.

#2 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,789 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

When I made jointed wooden baits, I coated the insides faces of the joints of the unassembled sections with D2T first, lapping it out onto the faces about 1/4" for lap.
Then I assembled the baits, put them on my drying wheel, and coated the faces with two coats of Etex.
I use a screw eye and hinge pin system for my joints.
If you get epoxy in the hinge joints and it sets up, you're in for a nightmare try to get it out again, unless you can disassemble the baits again to clean out the hinges.

#3 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I use a screw eye inside a screw eye for hinges and epoxy them in when the bait is completely finished. However, I can still get epoxy in the hinge when installing them and when I do, I use a micro drill bit chucked in a Dremel to zip it out. Can't say if that would be a fix for hinges incorporating hinge pins.