bassbum85

Filler

I like to install my ballast so it sets just below the surface of the lure. I use super glue and like to put enough in the bottom of the hole that when the ballast is installed it pushes a small amount out the top. This makes sure the glue reaches all sides of the ballast. I then add just enough super glue to leave it a little above the surface of the bait. After it dries I just sand it down flush with the surface.

Ben

I'm going to try the epoxy stick. I've been using the Devcon to anchor all ballast. Messy, and a pain. You have to wait till the Devcon cures before you can deal with the bait.

That's why I started using super glue with an accelerator Bassguy. You can install the components with super glue, give it a quick spray with the accelerator and move right on to the next step. I've tried pulling hook hangers out with a pair of pliers after installing them with super glue and all it did was deform the stainless wire.

Ben

That's why I started using super glue with an accelerator Bassguy. You can install the components with super glue, give it a quick spray with the accelerator and move right on to the next step. I've tried pulling hook hangers out with a pair of pliers after installing them with super glue and all it did was deform the stainless wire.

Ben

That's what I do, too, except I only brush the glue over my ballast after I've pushed it into the hole. I use 1/4" lead wire in 1/4" diameter holes, so the ballast fits tight. I've never had the ballast move.

I usually use bondo on top, and sand it smooth before I start to paint.

bondo and quick wood work great. Both set up relatively fast but once cured can be hard to sand flush, especially the quick wood. If I'm in a hurry, which is usually the case, I do like Mark and Ben, but a little different. I will saturate the area with super glue, then grab a good pinch of PVC dust generated from the router, and push/ rub it into the hole. It will wick into the dust and usually sets up instantly without accelerator. Then, if necessary, I will put a little more glue on top of the plug and quickly sand it flush.

I found it at hobbytown. Thanks

Something you might want to consider is to clean out the sprayer after every use of the accelerator. Not sure if all of it is the same, but when I first started using super glue and the accelerator I just left the sprayer attached to the bottle of accelerator. Everything was fine for a good while and then one day the sprayer would no longer spray with a fine mist. It would only spray big drops and not very accurately either. You could never tell which way it was going to spray. I contacted the folks where I got it and they told me you weren't supposed to leave the sprayer full of accelerator and that if you did it would eventually screw up the sprayer. I've since started taking the sprayer off the bottle and sticking the suction tube into some denatured alcohol and giving it a few sprays to clean out any accelerator left in the sprayer. No problems since I started doing this.

Another thing I do if I'm only gluing in a couple hook hangers is to forgo the sprayer. Instead of using the sprayer I dip a small diameter rod (about 1/32" ) into the accelerator bottle. Just enough will cling to the rid that about one small drop will drip off the rod directly onto the hanger or ballast. I seem to use less of the accelerator this way as well.

Ben

Ben

Thanks Ben, I'll have to give it a try....

Jerry