jeff@mf

The Beginning Of Hand Poured Fishing Worms!

Nice post! We really haven't made any huge advancements since 1974 though?

Robert Maserang and Norman Fitzgerald, the M & F of M-F Manufacturing should get allot of credit for making and pouring your own baits. Quitting their official job in 69/70, they started out of Norman’s garage as I understand. They spilled a 55 gallon drum down the street, the old lady complained, yadayadayada, and that’s when it was time to move into a bigger place just like many of hand pourers/injectors still do today, out of their garage.

I thought about it and was going to disagree about not too many changes to date, but the commitment then is probably equal to what I put into my job every day. Both of them quit their jobs and started M-F, (kinda the same way I quit my electrical job working on water treatment plants). I got tired of driving hours in traffic and they probably got tired of something else. So, then again they use to have 20-25 sales reps in the field and I have hard work in front of me just no leg work outside our 7000 square ‘ building, I’m sure there’s a saying for that. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it or ???? We still rely on the pour your own worm’s logo brand @ M-F.

I have more old decals, pictures, samples and old leg work folders than I can read in 6 months.

Pretty cool stuff and lots of memories for Robert.

jeff@mf

Jeff that was no insult by any means..... The product speaks for its self standing being able to with stand 38 years either with the original or close to the original recipe (assuming) that says a lot.

I would think there should be changes or advancements though after 38 years, such as biodegradable plastic or something.

Jeff that was no insult by any means..... The product speaks for its self standing being able to with stand 38 years either with the original or close to the original recipe (assuming) that says a lot.

I would think there should be changes or advancements though after 38 years, such as biodegradable plastic or something.

Internet! that's the number 1 big change.

way back in the late 70's we were making grape and light yellow 4" flat tail worms out of their molds and guys were buying them up in southern MO guess what they call that color now after a few tweaks? too bad they didnt know it then but watermelon and grape laminate was a better bite we just didnt share that one with the masses...LOL

So you rather have your soft plastics stay in the water and and tackle box for years than have a safe biodegradable and eco friendly lure. All I can say is..... Ignorant!

Please don't show how small your mind is, its not purdy. Not everyone here fishs sweet water. Salt water here is much differant, colours ect. One colour might work this year and not work for maybe 7 years before its the colour the fish want. So don't be such a small judmental fish in your small pond you evidently fish in. I make my own lures for my own use, and I stock colours I know fish will hit sooner or later. I have some phalete free plastic I used to test, lures are all slimey, nasty, are what I assume degrading.

Edited by Kajan
  • Like 1

Phthalate free does not make it bio-degradable if that helps you guys? The bio-degradable plastic available to us that is used is junk, but I’m sure within 10 years or so there will be reasonable products on the market. Right now only a few of our colors contain Phthalates, not all.

Edited by jeff@mf

Here are some more prices from 1978 then again the price increase in 1993-1994, might of been as early as 1991. You can also see the first crystal clear plastic was introduced with the super soft plastic. Not many changes but the price in these small catalogs. jeff@mf

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

1978 catalog.JPG

1978 prices.JPG

1993-1994.JPG

post-29698-0-78162200-1335197403_thumb.jpg

post-29698-0-59386600-1335197423_thumb.jpg

post-29698-0-88691900-1335197446_thumb.jpg

Neat to see the old stuff. I have a small assortment of Herters molds that were made to make lures.

Phthalate free is in my opinion the least of our worries when it comes to fishing. It really is insignificant with respect to current problems with fisheries. Now it is an excellent selling point so I am sure it will be pushed hard by retailers and then other groups. Just the current hot/scare tactic being pushed in various circles.

• Like 1

I did not mean Phalate free was biodegradable. But was more a between plastic between regular Plastisol and what a biodegradable lure is. You know, the type that when left out of the bag shrink beyond recognition. Gulp ect. Which would technically not be artificial lure. The point is, I want the lures I make to last a long time in the packs. Kinda how MF lasted a long time selling plastics and plastic products :yay::yes:

Thanks for the interesting post. I moved to Fort Worth in the fall of '74. Had come from Austin where some were fishing a "secret" soft plastic bait. I couldn't get them in Fort Worth so that's when I started pouring. Made POP molds and could buy MF plastic in most tackle shops for $8.00 a gallon. I have really enjoyed this hobby and still pour today. I'm staying old school...open molds and heat lamps for melting the plastic. In '74 the store bought worms were all hand poured and I remember when Mr. Twister came out with the (I think) first injected twister tail worm a couple years later. Purple/white tail was the local color of choice. I should note that MF offers a mold of that once secret bait. :wink: