musky1

Lathe and Duplicator

True. You get what you pay for. However, a lathe makes a fairly widespread mess, so you're probalby not going to be using it on the kitchen table. So, bolt it to your bench to prevent it from dancing around. Besides, being fastened to a good solid bench will give you better results.

I would save my money on the dupicator. They are fairly slow. Instead, use check gauges. You can make your own by Xeroxing the lure's profile. Cut it out and glue it to a plastic playing card or coffee can lid. You could even use a coffee can metal bottom. Turn the blank. Compare to the check gauge. repeat until happy. After you turn a couple hundred of the same lure, you'll be able to throw your check gauge away and eyeball them.

I once saw online where a guy built a pattern for each piece he turned from a piece of plexiglass. Once he had his prototype, he cut one edge of a piece of plexi to fit perfectly along the edge of the piece. Then, as you lathe another, you simply lay the pattern against the edge to see if it fits correctly. This combined with the calipers to check diameter would make things very accurate. Hehehehehehe.

Jed

Your right, you get what you pay for.

I bought a Grizzly mini-lathe over a year

ago. It's still going strong. I turn pens

and lures on it. Cast iron base, tool rest

and variable speed 0-4500 with turn

of a dial. Grizzly is huge and they have

excellent tools. About a month ago

I bought their ultimate 14" bandsaw.

I will put it up against any 14" saw

out there for quality and features.

Coley

I'm still here. And yes I'm still interested. I've been busy working and fishing. A friend of mine who's has been turning plugs for years is going to show me his set up. The lures that I'm making are large musky lures and I don't think a mini lathe is quite big enough. I don't want to be spending extra money for an extension when I don't have to. I checked out Harbor Freight lathes and they weigh 88lbs.You're right Legendary Lures. Your lathe should be bolted down to prevent dancing around. When your speed trolling 5mph and faster for muskies it's important that the baits are exact. If they're not they won't run right. I've already done my homework on that. That's why I was interested in the duplicator. I have a few baits now that will run up to 10mph with out blowing out of the water which is important when the lure picks up speed when you're making turns. Any serious musky nut knows what I'm talking about. Thanks. Jim