RiverMan

How Much Torque For Lure Dryer Motor?

Guys I want to be able to turn 50 musky baits at a time and smaller motors aren't cutting it.........

I am looking at two motors,

One is about $50, 6rpm and has 50 pounds of torque.

The second is $250 but has double the torque.

My guess is that fully loaded I may have 15 pounds of lures but another 5 or so for the shaft, clips, etc.

Two questions:

1. Will the motor handle slight imbalances better with more torque?

2. Would I be working a 50# of torque motor too hard if it's repeatedly turning 25 pounds?

thx.

RM

If the baits are roughly evenly spread, the motor is not under much strain. Start up is the problem, getting the mass moving. If the motor is 50ftLbs then is should have no trouble with your 15Lbs of wheel.

Consider a second hand wiper motor, they are amazingly strong. You would still need to sort out a 5 amp power supply (battery charger) and gear it down (bicycle sprockets and chain).

Dave

Yes.....that was a typo.

Mark...........I'm hoping to buy a motor that won't require me to replace it for five or more years and that's why I am looking at the more expensive motor options.

Understood. If you want something that will stand continuous use for a long time, look for a low rpm 1/4 horse 110 volt motor, and use step down gears to drive your turner. 1/4 horse motors like that are common, so they should be less expensive, and easily replaced if they ever do fail.

If you go to the trouble to build it, and it's too strong, no harm, no foul. If the motor fails after all that work, you'll be PISSED!

Jed I'm sure you already know this, but for the amount of weight your turning it needs to be supported in such a way that the motor isn't carrying any of the weight. You should be able to fully support the weight with your bearings and just slide the motor into place to make the connection. That way all the motor is doing is turning the axle and not bearing any of the weight. This should help keep the bearings in the motor from wearing out prematurely.

good luck,

Ben