anamealreadyinuse

Turkey Injector Okay? Oil Rubber Molds?

I plan on trying to pour some baits for the first time. Some of the rubber molds have some pretty narrow cavities and I was thinking of using a turkey injector instead of just pouring from the pyrex?

Is this safe to do if I use a metal tip injector or will the pour process find all the nooks and crannies?

Also, do I coat the rubber mold with vegetable oil before I pour like the injector style molds?

Thanks, can't wait to get started!

I use a Cajun food injector I bought from Cabela's years ago.

I spray both the inside of the injector barrel and my POP molds with spray PAM before I pour.

My molds have plywood boxes surround the POP, so I can clamp the two parts together.

I think you will have to have some kind of support for a rubber mold, or it will deform if you use a lot of pressure to inject it.

When I inject, I put the tip of the injector into the plastisol, draw some into the injector and then push it back into the plastisol, to warm the tip of the injector first, and then I fill it all the way and inject.

As long as the plastisol stays hot enough, I can inject with no problems.

I used a meat injector for a while for actual injection molds. I had to cut off the needle and drill out the tip slightly to get good results, but it worked. In some ways it worked better than an aluminum injector made for injection molds.

This video shows that injector and some of the first molds I made a couple years ago.

Edited by Bob La Londe

There is no way you would catch me using a plastic injector. If its not a double sided mold I'd just pour it and not mess with the injector.

Who said plastic? Jann's actually sells one as a bait injector and its crap IMO, but the Cabelas meat injector I used was all metal, and it held heat better than an aluminum injector so if you left it in the hot plastic you could shoot over and over again without having to open it and clean it out.

P.S. That is an old video and I do a lot of things differently now.

Edited by Bob La Londe

but the Cabelas meat injector I used was all metal, and it held heat better than an aluminum injector so if you left it in the hot plastic you could shoot over and over again without having to open it and clean it out.

i do that with aluminum injectors