fishingwithbrady

Airbrush Suplies Need Help Please!

Start out by using the search function on this forum and also look at the How-to-section. Many recommendations and tips for airbrushes and paints are already posted to get you started. Also go online and search for airbrush forums.

An airbrush is simple in concept and can be mastered but it will take practice, practice and more practice.

I'd recommend you start with Createx paints, because they are true air brush paints, and will give you less problems starting out.

Thin the paint with their 4011 reducer to the consistency of milk, and you should be fine.

Spray thin coats, heat set/dry between each coat with a hair dryer, and take your time.

Practice air brush strokes on a piece of white paper or cardboard, so you get the feel of the trigger and paint controls.

Clean your brush often, and thoroughly.

Read as much as you can here, using the search feature.

Go online to a place like Coast Air Brush and check out some of their free instructional videos.

Go to Youtube and check out air brush videos.

Have fun! That's an order!!!

• Like 2

It really depends on what material you're painting over, and what you need the top coat to do.

If you're painting over wood, where water intrusion is big concern, you want to look at something like epoxy or Dick Nite's original urethane. I've use epoxy, and I know it works. I haven't used the original Dick Nite's urethane, but others here swear by it (and sometime at it). Hahaha

If you're painting over plastic, resin, or PVC, where water isn't a threat to the lure, you can use a water borne urethane because you're only trying to protect the paint scheme from the water.

• Like 1

When I was doing motorcycle work I used Iwata airbrushes, specifically the HP-C. I got out of it a few years ago and sold all my equipment, stupidly....I've always had good luck with 'em and plant to use them in my luremaking.... Which actually started yesterday... I'm nowhere NEAR ready to paint yet!

Edited by bluetickhound
  • Like 1

It really depends on what material you're painting over, and what you need the top coat to do.

If you're painting over wood, where water intrusion is big concern, you want to look at something like epoxy or Dick Nite's original urethane. I've use epoxy, and I know it works. I haven't used the original Dick Nite's urethane, but others here swear by it (and sometime at it). Hahaha

If you're painting over plastic, resin, or PVC, where water isn't a threat to the lure, you can use a water borne urethane because you're only trying to protect the paint scheme from the water.

Thank's, Mark

Can I spray the epoxy or do I dip it? Also what is the best way to hold a bait to paint it?

I have ordered a complete studio 6 brushes and compressor for 200bucks. I'm guessing it will get me started. I also ordered createx paint's. And a small hobby booth.

Thank's, Brady

You brush on the epoxy (I use one of the wife's eye shadow brushes). I mix enough to do two baits at a time in the bottom of an aluminum can, add about 3 or 4 drops of denatured alcohol and breath over it (this helps get rid of bubbles). Then brush it on making sure that the brush touches every bit of the paint and load the brush often. You will have to turn the bait a few times while the epoxy cures ( I usually turn mine about 2 - 3 times). I hope that this helps you out.

Get a $200 Iwata Micron then use 5 minute devcon to spray topcoat. Now obviously you have not been diving in too deep for information. IMHO 6 cheep airbrushes will be the ultimate payback for lack of research! DO NOT attempt to spray Devcon, this has just been a test. Seriously, a solid lower end dual action AB would get you going in the right direction. There are threads here with tons of useful information, you'll find what's best for your application.

Douglas

Douglas,

Hahaha...you are so funny. You should put that in the recipe book under "Recipe for $200 paperweight"!

Brady,

Do not, I repeat, do not use 5 min epoxy for your building or top coat. It is not waterproof, only water resistant, so it will fail, and it sets up too quickly.

I don't know anyone who sprays epoxy successfully. I know there are some very accomplished builders here, so someone probably does, but it's no designed to spray or dip.

Brush it on with a thin, even coat, and use a lure turner.

Get a $200 Iwata Micron then use 5 minute devcon to spray topcoat. Now obviously you have not been diving in too deep for information. IMHO 6 cheep airbrushes will be the ultimate payback for lack of research! DO NOT attempt to spray Devcon, this has just been a test. Seriously, a solid lower end dual action AB would get you going in the right direction. There are threads here with tons of useful information, you'll find what's best for your application.

Douglas

Douglas, are you one of the political advisers that our government uses?

Douglas,

Hahaha...you are so funny. You should put that in the recipe book under "Recipe for $200 paperweight"!

Brady,

Do not, I repeat, do not use 5 min epoxy for your building or top coat. It is not waterproof, only water resistant, so it will fail, and it sets up too quickly.

I don't know anyone who sprays epoxy successfully. I know there are some very accomplished builders here, so someone probably does, but it's no designed to spray or dip.

Brush it on with a thin, even coat, and use a lure turner.

Thank's Mark!

On buying epoxy. Check out packaging to make sure 1 it says waterproof not water resistant. 2 it says dries clear. Some epoxies dries amber to yellow so it will color shift you baits. Ok if that's what you want but if you want white it won't be pure white

Hey one other tip. Don't spend all your time on internet looking up info. Not that it is not a good thing to do Start practicing what you learn. To me it sort of like when you first learn to ride a bicycle. Yeah you can watch videos and read up on all kinds of bicycles, which ones are better than others, which ones work better for riding conditions. But if you've never rode one, you will be a little wobbly even with training wheels the first time. So go for it and keep the first lures you make and then compare it with baits you make some time later. You will be amazed as the progress. As you make baits you will hone in on specific questions and then the experience folks can really help you with specifics.

Also learn to take photos and post with any questions about specific issue that you run into. It will certainly help troubleshooting. Also it doesn't hurt to brag about you accomplishments.

• Like 1