bluetickhound

Total Noob Questions...

I joined yesterday and have been searching the site for answers to some basic questions but muddling through 279 pages isn't really productive and trying the search function hasn't really gotten me what i'm after either so I'm cutting right to the chase... Flame away if need be, I'm claiming "noob rights'!!

Question 1: What is the most common or "best" way to seal balsa before laying down a base coat?

Question 2: Since most of my baits will be balsa ( 3 inches or less) and i plan to use through-wire, where can one source the apropriate wire? I have seen folks mention using bicycle spokes but that doesn't seem like a viable option for me...

Question 3: I have read numerous opinions concerning topcoat epoxies/dips etc and have narrowed it down to D2T and Dick Nite's S83(?). I emailed DN yesterday from the link on the corresponding thread but haven't heard back yet... Is this product still available?

Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to getting started... I made some templates today and have the balsa ready to cut.. Pictures of my first effort will be coming soon... Try not to chuckle too loudly!!

BTH

Yep - a lot of time and effort has been spent to provide the information you seek on this forum. Now you want it handed over is a quick summary. Well there are lots of pages of info. And to answer you questions will take up pages. That means someone will have to take time away from building, painting and improving their buidling skill to hand feed answers just cause you don't want to put any effort into it. If you want quick results just go to your local tackle store and buy you baits. Also search out other tackle building places. Help yourself out by leaning to use search function.

Now to your questions:

1. Best or common.seal - like asking what is the best car, truck of boat. The answer is what is available to you, and how you learn to use it.

2. WIre sources - google stainless wire, Since you list you area as Atlanta go check out welding supply places.

3.Opinions are like noses - everybody has one. DN is a one guy operation that has other tackle supply items besides finish. As such it may take a bit of time. If he worked all the emails he get, he wont have time to make the finish and other items his customers send order in. Several folks have stated they have slow response but eventually get their items. So if you are in such a hurry go with Devcon epoxy.

Question 1: What is the most common or "best" way to seal balsa before laying down a base coat?

I use Devcon 2 Ton to seal balsa lures. Thin it slightly with denatured alcohol, sand with 400 grit before painting, and recoat if you sand through the epoxy to raw balsa anywhere. IMO, the best alternative to D2T is multiple dips in a propionate/acetone solution.

Question 2: Since most of my baits will be balsa ( 3 inches or less) and i plan to use through-wire, where can one source the apropriate wire? I have seen folks mention using bicycle spokes but that doesn't seem like a viable option for me...

I like SOFT temper .041" type 304 stainless steel wire from McMaster-Carr (cat nr 8860K16), a good online source for wire, Lexan, circuit board

Question 3: I have read numerous opinions concerning topcoat epoxies/dips etc and have narrowed it down to D2T and Dick Nite's S83(?). I emailed DN yesterday from the link on the corresponding thread but haven't heard back yet... Is this product still available?

One product, 2 uses: D2T is a fine topcoat for balsa lures and is also good for sealing. I'm not sure what S83 is but I only like Dick Nite moisture cured urethane S81.

Don't forget to cut your lip slot just after cutting out the basic lure blank - while it's still "square".

• Like 1

I joined yesterday and have been searching the site for answers to some basic questions but muddling through 279 pages isn't really productive and trying the search function hasn't really gotten me what i'm after either so I'm cutting right to the chase... Flame away if need be, I'm claiming "noob rights'!!

Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to getting started... I made some templates today and have the balsa ready to cut.. Pictures of my first effort will be coming soon... Try not to chuckle too loudly!!

BTH

I know you asked that we not "chuckle too loudly", but, I couldn't help myself when I read this. It took several weeks for me to finally get a payment request from DN and another few weeks to actually receive the package. If you're planning to use DN....I wouldn't be too antsy. ^_^

BTW, welcome to TU.

I use Devcon 2 Ton to seal balsa lures. Thin it slightly with denatured alcohol, sand with 400 grit before painting, and recoat if you sand through the epoxy to raw balsa anywhere. IMO, the best alternative to D2T is multiple dips in a propionate/acetone solution.

I like SOFT temper .041" type 304 stainless steel wire from McMaster-Carr (cat nr 8860K16), a good online source for wire, Lexan, circuit board

One product, 2 uses: D2T is a fine topcoat for balsa lures and is also good for sealing. I'm not sure what S83 is but I only like Dick Nite moisture cured urethane S81.

Don't forget to cut your lip slot just after cutting out the basic lure blank - while it's still "square".

Same answers and currently using Hobart .030" stainless steel wire. Part number is H522506-R19. Should be available any place that carries welding supplies. Think I got this at Tractor Supply. You might consider a wire bender as well.

For those whose sensibilities I have offended with my "laziness" I offer my sincere and humble apologies... It won't happen again.... Sheesh!

For those who we're gracious enough to bear with me as a new guy I offer my sincere appreciation!! I'll try to spend more time using the search function to get answers from here on out...

BTH

Bluetick- most of the guys on here are real good guys. The "you have to suffer through the search function crew" allways rears its ugly head. There is no shortage of jerks on most forums. I don't use balsa but I seal my lures after sanding with a 50/50 mixture of spar urathane and mineral spirits. Welcome to the addiction.

What you guys may not understand is that the members that have been here for a number of years have gone through this same scenario countless times. New people signing up and immediately asking the same questions that have been answered so many times it's ridiculous. And a lot of the time without introducing themselves or even making an attempt to use the archives. And asking any question with the phrase "what is the best" always makes me chuckle. "Best" is a relative term. Especially when there are so many variables as there are in painting and building lures. What one person thinks is "best" may not even make it on the top 100 list for someone else. When asking questions about things like airbrushes or top coats at least do a little research and ask specific questions such as what airbrush needle and nozzle size do I need to paint fine details or what are the pros and cons of a siphon fed brush versus a gravity feed. Even these are questions that have been asked and answered before, but it will show people that you have at least made an effort.

Something else that is frowned on at this website is calling people names. All this leads to are huge message threads with nothing but a couple guys arguing back and forth. Just because you don't like someones response to your question doesn't automatically give you the right to bad mouth them. This is a public forum and when you post something there is a chance that your not going to like some of the replies.

Just my :twocents:

Ben

Like Ben says.

Not trying to hammer anybody but as I learning tackle making (and I learn something everyday) I have found the best lure making tool for me is the internet search engine and the search funtion on forums. I have 10 -yeah 10- lure/ tackle making forums on my favorites list that I regularly visit. And I manage to find them using the search function looking for specific help. I also found the tutorials or How-to sections on the various sites have cut my learning time and budget by a bunch. Also if you want to see some video's there are lots of How-tos on You tube. It amazing how much information is out there. Keep in mind whats out there may show you just one way of doing a technique. Here's another tip: If you find a particular lure builder's post interesting, check out his profile and clicking on posts. It can cut out having to scan thru pages and pages of threads not related to what you are looking for. I know this doesn't answer you questions but you will have more and more and trying to help you find many answers and opinions that are out there.

• Like 1

Understood, and again... My apologies for not making enough of an effort to self-answer my questions but it cuts both ways. If anyone is tired of answering the same questions over and over just don't answer...that why I titled the thread as I did... Usually old timers will avoid threads started by newbs like bad Thai food...One in particular here took the opportunity to lecture me on TU protocol... I can assure you I'll not be asking any other questions here. I see that almost every possible angle of lure making seems to have already been covered (to death in some cases...) and will invest whatever time and effort it takes to prevent upsetting anyone else....

Wrong approach not to ask questions even if you get coached. Don't give up there's lots to learn and there are plenty of guys who will try to help you. Just relax,hang in there, and enjoy the process of tackle making.

Understood, and again... My apologies for not making enough of an effort to self-answer my questions but it cuts both ways. If anyone is tired of answering the same questions over and over just don't answer...that why I titled the thread as I did... Usually old timers will avoid threads started by newbs like bad Thai food...One in particular here took the opportunity to lecture me on TU protocol... I can assure you I'll not be asking any other questions here. I see that almost every possible angle of lure making seems to have already been covered (to death in some cases...) and will invest whatever time and effort it takes to prevent upsetting anyone else....

No need to apologize.

We all started where you are, in one way or another.

Everything I know about lure building I learned here at TU, from people who had already made the same mistakes I was about to make.

The search feature is great, and there are literally hundreds of threads for every topic.

I'd suggest you make a list of the questions you need answered, and do specific searches in the search feature.

Then try and build a lure or twenty.

You'll learn more from your own mistakes, including what questions you really need to ask here.

And use the answers BobP gave you as a good starting point. He knows balsa bait building.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you do build.

I'm not going anywhere... I'm having way too much fun right now!! I should be posting some pictures in the next week or so of my first lure. I'll build many more I'm sure but I'll never build another "first" one!!

Be sure to post the lure pic in the hard bait gallery. Good luck.