archeryrob

Lure "recipe" Sheets

Do any of you guys save sheets with exactly how the lure you made measured, distance for the hook hangers weight holes with weight amounts?

I found even lures I made late last year I forget exactly how it was weighted, ect. I know it really helped me when making beer. I am doing it with different lures now, like two lures and an I can record how they worked and see what new changed models perform differently.

As I still try attempt to build an acceptable swimbait, I have found using graph paper to create "lure recipies" very useful. The lines help me make sure segments are identical every time. I use different color pens to represent different hardware (i.e. hook hangers and hinges). I jot down notes underneath the pattern with matching color pen which refer to location, size, and whatever else I think I should record.

I think this helps, but I find it extremely time consuming. But I don't get a chance to build very often and need reminders of what worked and what didn't, so it is a must.

Yes, this is a hobby for me, so if I build 8 of one kind I might not build any more for 2 years or more. I am just wondering if guys "hobby" will be willing to share this info. I just started doing ti on Spooks (even though they are really simple) and a Sportyman spook I found on another site. It has gouges in the eyes that he swears make it turn more side to side. I upsized it from 5.5" to 6.5" and will play with through wiring and weighting later for my recipe. If it works I save it, if not I alter the recipe later.

Edited by archeryrob

I still suck at building but I dont keep notes because no 2 I make are really the same since its all being done by hand. If I had a scroll saw to help with the cuts I probablly would start but at this point I make so few that its easy to keep track of my screw ups

I have a note pad that i start taking notes in but somewhere during each build it gets put aside, so the notes are etchy. I do have a couple of patterns that I use to mark my cuts for new bodies, but it gets changed a little here and a little there during carving and sanding.

I keep notes on every batch of crankbaits. Even if you build only one bait per month, believe me, you will forget the build details of number 1 by the time you finish number 12. Notes will help you eliminate mistakes in the future and more importantly, they will tell you how to replicate a great crankbait which you will only identify after you have fished it. I note the body shape, lip shape and angle, and ballast position from the patterns I use to make them. Then I note type of wood, lip material, ballast amount, type of undercoating and topcoating, and the wire used for the hardware. I weight each finished crankbait on a digital scale to 1/100 oz and list its paint scheme. If I can think of more stuff to note, I do it. You cannot have too much info.

• Like 1

I've made a template that has all the info on what I'm building. I've simplified things by only making one style, and by changing the angle of the bill, it gives me a different diving bait. Since they are basically all the same (weight wise) the ballast doesn't change much, the line tie and hook hangers remain the same.

Jerry

• Like 1

Everybody has some great points . It's all trial and error and that is the fun part about it . I have a 15 ft pond in my backyard so it works great as a test tank . I just refined a new "jitterbug" I have been working on . And some notes said use a 60* angle . Didn't work for my lure , so went to the boards and others said 45* that it it right on the head . But it's just differnt for every builder .

I was hoping someone would have a premade sheet, as I used to use for beer making. I might try making one in excel and I can insert pictures to it. I might play with this today, as my head cold makes me feel bad in the cold garage. When is spring coming. :(

Right now I am recording like this, but don't like it.

212310DC-2E9F-4184-8892-988F3C128E9E.jpg

Here is the rattle Trap float test. It sinks to the bottom and floats tail up, point to the bootom. Unexpected, but I could see it being useful. Let it sink, rest and give it a small retrieve, where it rattles and vibrates. Then pause and sink hopefully without snagging. Should let be sink these to the bottom when the cow stripers are. Might need a bigger treble though. :)

5A23028B-5A8C-4D5C-BB5D-0175EC48D2AE.jpg

• Like 1

Yea, its just like everything else, if you don't document how you did it, six months later you will not remember.

Once you make good beer, you want to make it again, and again, and again .... :yay:

But anyways, I made a lure recipe sheet on excel and print a PDf and was looking to "Share" but can figure out how to post it. Can't attach to the message, can't upload to a gallery, that I can tell. Mods! Super Users! Anyone know?

Edited by archeryrob

I don't do the spreadsheet thing, but I do make templates for all the lures I build. I mark ballast locations and amounts, hook hanger and line tie locations, etc. on the template. That way I don't have to do a bunch of measuring or keep referring back to a sheet of notes. I just trace around the template and transfer the reference marks from the template to the wood. I can see where a spreadsheet would be really useful as you would be able to keep a permanent record of build notes and it would be harder to lose a binder full of spreadsheets than it would a template.

Ben

I have adobe Pro at work, but not here at home. With Adobe Reader you can only change it to text, which can't be uploaded here either. maybe they will make a way to post in the Gallery some how for things like this??

The rattle Trap is a one piece bait drilled with a pilot bit, then a shallow 5/8" on each side and 1/2" on each side to finish it all the way through. Then covered with soda can sides for the walls and a very thin layer of wood putty. Soda Can rattle chamber

Edited by archeryrob

I have adobe Pro at work, but not here at home. With Adobe Reader you can only change it to text, which can't be uploaded here either. maybe they will make a way to post in the Gallery some how for things like this??

The rattle Trap is a one piece bait drilled with a pilot bit, then a shallow 5/8" on each side and 1/2" on each side to finish it all the way through. Then covered with soda can sides for the walls and a very thin layer of wood putty. Soda Can rattle chamber

thats what i was thinking you did. sounds like a pretty good bait!!!