Shortt21

Lead Heads

8 posts in this topic

Just poured some leadheads. Do i need to clear coat them if im not going to put any paint on them?? And if i do clear coat i have some sparr urathane will that work??

You don't need to put a clear coat on, but if you do, it will keep the lead from oxidizing which will happen when in contact with plastisol soft plastic baits. It will keep the lead looking new.

Urethane works, so does epoxy, spray acrylic, or for that matter clear fingernail polish. It really all depends on what you are trying to protect against. If it's just oxidation then all the above work.

Tony

Eagle brand concrete sealer works great for this, even over paint.

And you can dip it.

Coley

I would let them oxidize asap because I don't like shiny jig heads. I soak lead in a solution of Oxyclean to speed the oxidation process along!

I do fish a clear water lake, but basically it's because I don't like shiny lead on lures. Unless it's a silver/flake plastic swimbait, I don't think shiny lead "goes" with anything. I also oxidize lead bullet weights and won't use tungsten weights unless they are painted green pumpkin or black. Maybe it's just a 'thang' but I want plastic lures to look as natural as possible.

Edited by BobP
1 person likes this