ioiosoiwork

Powder Paint ?.....while I Wait For Cadman To Answer ;)

New to powder paint, have ovens & furnaces at my disposal, so anyhow I got the fluid bed plans from Cadman (THANK YOU AGAIN CADMAN), I know I probably thought to much into this, but I'm doing nickle plated trolling spoon blanks, I put them in a oven to "preheat" @ 350F, swished them in powder paint & got GOBS!!!!, I had to put them in a muffle furnace @ 900F(I think 825F did the job) to get the total mess off, I'm thinking the pre 350F heat was too hot (stuff "cures" @ 350F) there was no "shaking off" of anything !, so whats a good temp to pre-heat a lot of spoons ? I want to dip & run.....but not runs ;) THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP !! ......HELP !

I sent you an e-mail, but as I read this, you want to do this as a mass production. So my e-mail will probably not give you the answer you want. I think if you are going to do mass production, I would look into air brushing lacquer paint and then clear coat with epoxy. Maybe others have a better idea. I do a lot of powder painting but the jigs I paint are not spoons, and I also don't know how big your spoons are. So maybe there is a an easier way to achive what you wany.

Electrostatic. If you are doing a small amount you can do the powder air brush. If you are planning on doing many electrostatic will give you a uniform finish with very little waste. Multi colors can be done with a combination of electostatic, cure then powder air brush followed by curing again. I have never had any luck dipping spoons.

I use a spray gun for blades and spoons because, well you found out, the cupped side of the spoon will hold too much paint and you end up with gobs. I can do blades pretty good the problem I have it you really need to control the heat when doing the second side otherwise you get ripples through the paint on the back side. I think if you want to make a production run you need to do it the electrostatic way like atijigs has mentioned.

EXACTLY SMALLJAW !!!!! the cup side of the spoon blank holds too much paint !, nope not doing production, guess I'll have to try the spray gun for powder, just heard you waste more. Lacquer is nice, but gets scratched up after a few fish, I heard that powder is a little more tougher. An old fishing friend of mine put it this way "why have a hundred different spoons, have a hundred of one kind that catches fish" ;) THANKS GUYS ! ;)

Just try turning your temperature down. When you dip them you should get a nice coat of powder and it will still look like powder on your jig. You don't want it to bree hot enough to cure. I dip about a hundred big lead jigs this way at a time. I stack them on a baking sheet then pull them one at a time and dip and hang them. Then i put them back in the oven to cure. You could also try using a hot air gun.can get one cheap from harbor freight. I'm pretty sure your problem is temperature. Hap that problem with candy purple. Good luck.

Edited by andy1976

Just try turning your temperature down. When you dip them you should get a nice coat of powder and it will still look like powder on your jig. You don't want it to bree hot enough to cure. I dip about a hundred big lead jigs this way at a time. I stack them on a baking sheet then pull them one at a time and dip and hang them. Then i put them back in the oven to cure. You could also try using a hot air gun.can get one cheap from harbor freight. I'm pretty sure your problem is temperature. Hap that problem with candy purple. Good luck.

Blades and spoons are different because they are cupped and no matter what the temp the cupped side is going to grab more paint. When spraying blades I will do all one color, I use a box from an old pair of work boots as a spray booth and I use a paper clip to hang a plastci grocery bag against the back on my makeshift spray booth. When I do one color the over spray hits the plastic bag and falls in, I keep the bags labeled and when I get a few ounces in them I reclaim the powder. I do lose some but not much and once you get used to it you can do a bunch of blades or spoons and they will look good even after curing. I do suggest a thin coat of epoxy over the top of the spoon to prevent chipping.

• Like 1

Blades and spoons are different because they are cupped and no matter what the temp the cupped side is going to grab more paint. When spraying blades I will do all one color, I use a box from an old pair of work boots as a spray booth and I use a paper clip to hang a plastci grocery bag against the back on my makeshift spray booth. When I do one color the over spray hits the plastic bag and falls in, I keep the bags labeled and when I get a few ounces in them I reclaim the powder. I do lose some but not much and once you get used to it you can do a bunch of blades or spoons and they will look good even after curing. I do suggest a thin coat of epoxy over the top of the spoon to prevent chipping.

EXCELLENT suggestions THANK YOU ALL !, Marty