Coley

dbait action

Coley, I made several types of the D Bait. One has a bill of only 5/8 " long by 1/2" wide. I made the slot angle about 60 degrees. The line tie is right below the nose of the bait. What I was trying to accomplish was the action and diving depth of a footloose or baby 1- . The bait is carved from Spanish Cedar and weighted with a 1/16 oz. worm weight. the bait has a very tight wiggle. I made two others, one witha 15/16 " wide by 3/4" long bill with the line tie on the bill. This bait gets down about 2 1/2 ' and also has a tight wiggle. The other bait has a 1 1/4 " by 1" bill with the line tie on the bill. This bait also has a very tight wiggle and gets down to about 7'. The baits were carved and had slightly rounded sides, unlike a true flat sided crank. I did make several flat sided baits and the action of each of these was more of a wider wobble. Same wood, same bills, same 1/16 oz. weight, but a slightly different more streemlined shape on the carved lures vs. the flat sided baits. This pic shows the two baits with the line ties on the bills. Joe

medium_mini_digger_383.jpg

616_thumb.attach

Thanks Joe, the top bait in the picture looks

like it has a Jann's 340-109 lip in it. Is that right??

Thats exactly what I am doing. I have two made

from western cedar and the action is unreal.

It wiggles very hard on a horizontal axis. Vibration

in the rod tip is very strong. I am wanting

to make some out of balsa to see what they

will do.

Thanks,

Coley

Coley. you were close. Both baits shown have the 340-108 bills. I don't have a pic of the bait that dives 7', but it has the340-109. I did make some of the baits in balsa, but only as prototypes. Have not fished them yet. The balsa baits needed 1/8 oz. of weight instead of the 1/16 used in the cedar baits. All lures have two $4 mustad hooks. Joe