gordon

Photo Over Foil Question

I am getting issues with some of my recent swimbaits, I am getting bits of epoxy and the undercoats right down to the foil get knocked off during fishing. I am using Aluminum duct foil, then adding a tissue photo print out with Elmers spray glue as described on this website. After this the baits are finished with epoxy coats, then painted before recieving final epoxy top coats.

A fishing friend of mine who is in the paint and finishing business said I should use epoxy to apply the tissue too. Using Elmers at this point creates a soft/weak layer. He said a good finish sholud be built up of layers of a similar strength/hardness - and that will solve my problem.

So I am going to try and use epoxy in place of elmers glue - has anyone used epoxy for applying the tissue?

Edited by gordon
  • Like 1

I've been using a spray clear coat (Upol) to attach the photo to the foil and haven't had the problems your describing. I spray the foil before laying the photo down and then spray again once the photo is in place. It's then left to set until the clear has completely dried. You don't need to hose it down either. Just apply enough to coat the foil and wet the paper through.

Ben

The Upol I'm using is Clear #1. I've also used the fixative spray that's used for water slide decals with good success. Others are using various spray adhesives. Husky is the one who came up with this process and I think he uses Elmer's spray adhesive. I think it's more about getting a thin, even coat of adhesive more so than it is about what brand of adhesive you use.

Here's the link to Husky's tutorial. http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/12000-photo-finishing-foil-and-faux-finishes/

Ben