garyo1954

Decided To Try Something Different

Thought something like a Heddon Rotary head from the 1920s would be fun.

DSCN4273.jpg

Cut her her. Made a prop. Laid out all the possible hardware that could be used to separate the head and body. The prop is epoxied to the head.

DSCN4403.jpg

For the second one I decided to notch the prop into the head. It is still epoxied to it.

At this point I'm thinking about counterweighting the body and using a single hook. At the same time the epoxy will fill in around the wire thru so the body should be stable. Then some cup washers at either end and the small bearing between the joints so the prop spins and I am ready to clear.

I think.....lol

• Like 1

Quick up date on the redheads. Musky did the counterweight as you suggested. 4 grams on the larger on about 3.5 on the other.

Got a coat of D2T on this weekend.

DSCN4470.jpg

Can't recall who said it, but NOW it comes to me......D2T does not like sharp edges. LOL

Why do you always remember these nuances AFTER you see what happens when you don't remember.

Rayburn Guy, Bob, Mark I know all you guys are going to say second coat the who deal, right?

Should I light sand first?

DSCN4488.jpg

It's my opinion that a second coat will help only slightly if you still have sharp corners. It will still want to pull away from the sharp edges leaving a very thin coat on those sharp edges. If you built it for fun and don't plan on fishing it I would say leave it alone because it looks good. If you plan on fishing it you'll be taking a chance on the epoxy breaking down on the corners and letting water get to the wood. To paraphrase Martha Stewart...."That's a bad thing". The only way I know to fix it so you won't be taking a chance on water intrusion is to round the corners off and give it another coat of epoxy. Even if you end up taking a little paint off you should be able to touch it up and make it look good.

You did a good job on it. I'd hate to see it get wet only to have the wood swell up and ruin the bait entirely.

And don't worry about messing up or forgetting steps. I do it all the time. The repairs eventually get easier, but they still frustrate you. (to put it mildly)

Whatever you decide to do good luck.

Ben

garyo,

Those are great looking baits.

It's been a while since I top coated with D2T, and I never put on a second coat.

I'll hazard a guess that you should scuff sand with a scotchbrite pad, or steel wool, wipe it down with denatured alcohol, and then recoat. If one edge only has pulled away, I would try and keep that edge lower while the epoxy is turning.

BobP is the real D2T maven.