Fishing Good, Wood Dust Bad!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 mgodliman

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:53 AM

I've been a wood worker all my adult life (I'm soon to be 55) a violin maker and restorer and keen lure maker almost as long nearly all my work is with hand tools so perhaps my exposure is minimall but of course I do do a lot of sandpapering.
I've heard of people aquiring allergies and the like to specific woods and I've heard of the special case of cedar,but I have never heard so far of all wood dust being carsonogenic,when you think of all the wood workers there have ever been doing all kinds of wood work over all history I'm having a stuggle to believe I need to wear a mask all day now whilst I'm sat here grappling with someones busted cello.
I sincerley hope you are wrong.
Obviuosly I plan to live for ever like Peter Pan, Count Dracular and Dorian Gray, what are the odds?

#22 mgodliman

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:17 AM

Should any one reply to my post and I don't reply quickly it's because I'm going later today to Ireland (I'm from England) pike fishing with some friends for a week.I'll be looking here when I get back.
Having had a lot of trouble registering for some reason (I think I spelt my own name wrong or something ! )I managed to re register with a different new e mail address and password.
Having finally got on here I don't want my memebership to laps for want of contributions.

#23 Anonymous

• Guests

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:13 AM

I dont know!!!! LOL :lol: Naw,, I worked in Phamaceuticals (10 years)and now the semiconductor industry (8 years). I was working in Regulatory affairs and completed the masters..

Y'all are right.... Check out a site where I buy a lot of my supplies for safety. www.labsafety.com . you can orderfrom them. Anyway, It is extremely important that you match the filter(s) up with the hazard... and store the mask (if its chemical absorbing) in a plastic bag when not in use.

For lead, i believe there is a filter? never bought one... For water based paints, a good P100 (Yes.. general term) pancake can be attached. For solvents, you want to purchase an "Organic vapors" filter.

And skeeter is correct, You can not guarantee a seal with facial hair.

Chip :D

#24 RiverMan

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the tips on filters guys, I will for sure be buying a good mask in the coming days! As for dust causing cancer Martin, do a search on these key words "wood dust health" and you will find a multitude of sites that list the risks associated with each wood type. Some woods will list only respitory problems, nasal, etc., others include cancer! As I said, Australia considers all wood dust to be carcinogenic. Like anything else, one person can work a lifetime in dust and never be bothered while someone else might only get a few weeks before problems arise.

So if I am using a chunk of dry cedar from the lumber yard is this going to cause problems with swelling, cracking, down the road? I don't see why cedar would be different than any other wood once it is dry. I use cedar only because I haven't found another wood that works correctly for what I am doing. Thx.

#25 KcDano

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:18 PM

Something else to think about pertaining to exposure of hazardous materials. You can intake substantial amounts of chemicals through your eyes; the toxicity of some of the newer catalysts for automotive finishes are not anything you should fail to safegaurd yourself against. Full face mask is the only way to go if you spray automotive finishes, and if you have facial hair consider a mask with a full hood with positive air pressure.

#26 Skeeter

Advanced Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:27 PM

To my understanding, cedar needs to be kiln dried to get the majority of the oil out. Most other woods are kiln dried to get the moisture out. Whether it is the oil, sap, or water, they will all cause you problems down the road if they don't do it immediately. This is what happened to Poes years ago. That poor company has changed hands alot of times. One of the companies that bought Poes was behind on orders right after they bought it. They ordered cedar that was not kiln dried. They made the lures and painted them up and sold them. Over a period of time the oil started to rise up out of the wood and caused the paint finishes to crack. You might even own some. If so Poes use to take those lures back and replace them free of charge.

I will have to agree on the face mask. If you really do some painting then get one. Your eyes need protection too.