BuMMeRBaits

First 2 Color Pours

Attached are a couple of pictures from my first attempts to pour some 2 color plastics. B)

One quick question, is it possible to have your plastic to hot, I have been heating mine until it's pretty thin, a little thicker than water about like cough surup. I noticed the other night when I was doing these double pours that all the flake seemed to be at the bottom of the pan and not much of it coming out when I made the pours, could this been from it being heated up and made to thin??????? :huh:

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

craw_2color_2.gif

craw_2color_1.gif

617_thumb.attach

618_thumb.attach

Bummer, heat can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Different plastic manufacturers can take different heat ranges. When you are splitting bloodlines you want your heat up their so the vein will split. You also want the temp up their when you are working with a lot of detail in the mold. Also I have had light colors no look so good when you have too much heat. I think that you can get a way with not using heat stabilizer when you choose the right plastic. I used to use MF but you couldnt crank up the heat like you can on Calhoun plastic. Usually if i have a 4 to 8 cavity mold I'll stir the aluminum pan between every 2 to 3 pours so that you have a consistant pour, this is especially true when you have salt in your baits, salt goes straight to the bottom of the pan, and when you are pouring stick baits consistancy is of the upmost importance. Hope so of this helps ya. Any questions feel free to ask any of us.

Nice lookin' craws. Lots of detail there, especially for a beginner!

If I remember right, I don't think I poured anything other than straight worms for my first couple months. Looks like you're really getting the hang of it.

Keep up the good work. :)

Chris

Thank's als, still working on the pouring, still getting lots of left over to trim, but I think that could partly be from my pot. I got the small pots from LC, and they pour fine for a while and then start running down the side of the pot, not sure what I am doing wrong there.

Get a good pair of pliers and bend the spout to a sharper angle, this will help pouring and you won't get as much runoff. You'll get a cleaner pour also if you wipe the spout after each pour. It's another step, but it's easier to pour if you get a constant stream of plastic and less dribbles. Hope this helps!

I have to ask, are you guys using a hot plate to keep your plastic warm after you get it set up in the microwave? And if so how well does it work and can you use the pyrex this way? I have been just reheating in the micro after the plastic gets too thick. Two color pours take a long time doing it this way.

Thanks,

BassnG3

I do both. But I don't use the hotplate that often. I put the pyrex right on the burner. I've been doing it this way since I started and haven't had any problems. I got a dual electric burner from wal-mart for about $20-$25.

The only real problems I've had with the burner is with 3 color pours. That usually means that 1 color is barely getting used so it's on the burner longer and if I'm not paying attention it burns the plastic on the bottom of the cup.

Thank's for the comments and the information. Just to let you know I took the above Craws with me to the lake yesterday evening, and caught my first 2 bass on the above craws. One was a small about 11 Inches and the other was a pretty nice 2.5#er. Man that was great catch them on my own bait. :lol: Was only up until 2 this morning making more. Heading back up to use them some more as soon as I get out of work. :twisted: