littleriver

Dives To 50ft?

Sonny, one would think so right? But the reality is many small fish are at these depths too. Regularly catch 12 inchers in the 30 to 40 foot of water on carolina rig and jig. But your right, they're more quality fish too. Just because they are harder to get at. At least this is often the case on Douglas.

A Revo Toro 60 holds 250 yards of 14lb test mono so I would think it would hold about 300 yards of a small diameter 10 lb test and I know from fishing flourocarbon for crappies it really sinks fast and I ade the mistake of trying it with slip bobber after sitting for a while the line from my rod to the bobber would sink to the bottom and would get hung up like crazy so maybe a high density flourocarbon would act somewhat like leadcore line and maybe the wieght of three hundred yards of lead core would sink a good sized crank bait to the bootom.

Another tip that might be helpful is to use a couple of feet of lead core line in front of your crankbait and then the flourocarbon.After a cast the bait might sink to the bottom by the time you run your line out.I seen larry dahlberg use the same setup on one of his shows for muskies.

Ok so I may get beat up on this.. But.. If you watch the Elite series on Douglas video.. I've got it DVRd and have watched it numerous times.. It's obviously a secret to Jeremy Starks.. And the rest of the world.. But all he says is flouro.. And he won't say what lb test as already stated.. Well to me.. It's obvious tothe world that deep running CBs are usually thrown on 10-12 lb test.. I trow 8-10.. But.. I don't know why he would b so secret if he went smaller because people are bound to try it.. So did he go bigger? On a conventional cast, I would say no.. But while he was strolling aka long lineing.. I am gonna say maybe he went bigger and here is why..

The heavier the fluorocarbon. The faster it sinks.. Test it in sink if u doubt it.. And it sinks actually pretty fast.. SO by the time he has tolled for 2-300 yds.. It would almost be on bottom.. So I think it it would strt out going deeper.. And the heavier lb test line has less buoyancy than smaller lb test.. Thus doesn't come to top faster.. ( not that either has much at all) and now the line is underwater.. It I'd under more PSI and has less resistance as to coming up so keeps CB down longer.. Just a thought.. I am going to test theory this weekend.

I drill weights In a ton of by CBs.. Put BBs in jerks and so on.. And I can get a dd22 to 20-22 with no lead added by strolling... And to 27-28 with lead in beal.. And 30+'s I have no clue.. Its 40 everybit I know.. It seems to be the trick of not starting the reel too fast or you will pull the beal up towards you.. Just let it do it'd thing untill u feel the bottom..

I may be completely wrong on the bigger line while strolling.. But I shall test it.. If you wath and pause the video.. Starks' line looks like nylon rope..

jcupp, I believe he must have been using small diameter line for a couple of reasons. First, his reel holds 250 yards of 14lb test. To get 300 yards on his reel he had to go smaller diameter. Or he is lying. Second, all the big fish he catches in the video he gets down on the deck and lips by hand. His nearest competitor is just hossing his fish in the boat. Only reason I can think of for doing this with these fish is because he is concerned about the line strength.

Bigger may work(not saying it won't) but getting 300 yards of it on a reel will require a bigger reel.