Shortt21

Question

best color also as to what the fish feed on i.e. shad maybe in a lake,frogs in a farm pond,black jitterbugs will show up well against the sky and the moon and has been on my rod most of the times i fish at night,But for the most part i think its the action of the lure that triggers the strike not really the color,so paint what you like and see if it catchs a fish or two and as for the popcorn bluetick i like mine with lots of butter

I too like white bottomed topwater baits but usually stick with black as if provides a large profile for the fish to see. I fish more stained or muddy water so i think a larger profile helps them see the bait, but also gives the appearance of larger prey. In clear water I would go with the more natural white belly.

For me "color" is everything. I need/want contrast. The better I see the lure, the better I can get it to work . By that I mean, putting the proper action into it,

If I can`t see it that well and lose the eye contact with it, it`s hard to get the best out of it. For me anyway.

Colors on top water baits can be on the wild side as I have no hang ups what so ever on colors.

The important thing is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,see it, work it. J s/n.

I too like white bottomed topwater baits but usually stick with black as if provides a large profile for the fish to see. I fish more stained or muddy water so i think a larger profile helps them see the bait, but also gives the appearance of larger prey. In clear water I would go with the more natural white belly.

I'll have to agree with you on darker colors in murky water. In that situation colors are going to be muted at best and black definitely offers better contrast to it's surroundings. The lakes I fish usually have at least a couple feet of visibility and are most times full of shad so that's why I like white bellied top waters.

Ben

Also on black topwaters. Usually we throw these baits at low light conditions. The black color really shines in these conditions since the colors we or fish see is totally dependant on a light source. Black absorbs more available light than any other color, meaning it is the last to wash out as black is always black. On topwaters at dusk or low light, I want that bait to be seen, and black is just very imposing with minimal light. I absolutely love throwing topwater, I just have so much confidence in black patterns. One I really like is the old luckycraft Sammy pattern with yellow verticle bars on black. Great contrasting of colors. They don't make that pattern anymore