Newdec1

Leak Test

I'm no expert by any means but if you are going to try the hot water I wouldn't make it any hotter than say... 110 degrees or so. No lake you're ever going to fish will be that warm (hopefully not, anyway!!). I would imagine you've heard hot water because it should open any "pores" that might be in the lure enough to let air escape. Keep us posted on how it works out!

BTH

I would be careful with hot water. Whatever air that's trapped in a two piece hollow lure will expand and put pressure on the glued seam and hardware location.

If they didn't leak before you "cooked" them, they might afterward.

I would just immerse them with a weight for an hour, and see if they take on any water. If they are already painted, weigh them on a good scale before and after. If they're unpainted, you should be able to see any water that's found it's way in.

If they don't take on water after an hour, they probably never will.

If you're painting the lures, your paint and top coat will probably seal whatever holes might be there, anyway.

Weight the lure blank to sink in a jar half filled with denatured alcohol (or pure alcohol), screw on a lid with a small hole in it------then suck out the air with a food vacuum pump (or whatever you have handy). If there is a hole (due to the higher pressure inside the lure) you will see bubbles exiting the blank joints etc, when you remove the vacuum alcohol will be forced into the blank by the external air pressure--- the alcohol should eventually evaporate out if you put it in the sun.

Once set up this will take no time to do each lure.

Pete

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1

Thinking to have read somewhere to put the bait into a freezer for a while just to chill it down , after submerge it into warm water , this way the cold air inside of the bait heats up and expands again and extracting air bubbles would become visible .

greetz , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

I just look at the seam. A hole large enough to notice gets patched. A small hole will be fixed by the topcoat. I never want to get water or alcohol inside the lure because it will cause the ball bearings to rust. That doesn't matter much on a solid painted lure but it is ugly on a lure that is painted in a "transparent" paint scheme, not to mention that enough rust can cause the ball bearings to stick and ruin the bait.