brian121673

Painting Crankbaits

Starting over is just how most of us started, too.

When I first started paint lures, I redid my paint jobs over and over, trying to get it right.

As I painted more baits, I learned what worked for me as basic paint schemes, and what didn't work. I learned how to paint scales, blend colors, and mist over color schemes with another color to achieve a different effect.

It does take practice, and time, but it's not rocket science if I can do it.

I'm no artist, but now I can to a serviceable paint scheme that catches fish.

To save yourself aggravation, you can get a piece of white PVC pipe and practice on that, until you get the paint the way you want it. It's easier to clean a failed paint job off a piece of plastic pipe than off a plastic crankbait.

Don't be discouraged. We all started where you are.

I tried to match a certain color for a Hell Hound this past week. When I started to mix the d2t I wanted to add some green glitter to it and spilled to much glitter into the finish. As it turned out it was way to green for the pattern that I wanted. I raised 4 muskies on that lure this past Sat. Didn't catch a one of them, but the color is right even if it isn't what I was looking for. Colors look so much different when you apply the clear coat I seldom start over. But then I just paint for my self. Musky Glenn

• Like 1

Thats my problem...if i see something that i think just isnt just right i just white it back out and start over. I guess i`m justing being too picky. some of my best paint jobs are colors that i just throw together without much thought.when i try to follow a pattern is when i get picky. guess i need to finish them before i decide to start them over.

There is one thing nice about the PVC once it has primer on it. If you don't like the scheme you done, you can take it to the sink (if you use water based acrylic paint) and wash it off. Been there, done that, no harm, no foul, and no mess in the sink to clean up. A little Dawn to help remove the paint and possible oil from your hands off the bait as well.

Jerry

The PVC I was talking about for practice painting is just plain old white PVC pipe.

The PVC I use for making baits is AZEK decking and trimboard.

They both carve like wood, but without grain issues, so it is easy to work with.

Plus, they are both buoyant and waterproof, so there is no sealing needed, and water intrusion is never a problem.