saltshaker

Ordering Blanks From Overseas

Anybody have a clue what this is and how much it might amount to? Is it really worth ordering lures internationally?

Thanks

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges

I'm in Germany , ...local anglers quite often mailorder lures and tackle from the US , as it's still worthwile , even when having to pay 19% VAT plus 4,3% Euro-Import tax .

I only wonder , from where you , being located in the USA , want to get your stuff cheaper , ......Asia , Eastern Europe ?

You've gotta contact US customs for import restrictrictions and monetary tax free limits , also tax rates , off course , .......over here the tax free limit for merchandise value is at only 22 Euros , ....for gifts 40 Euros , .........for a package contents value above these sums we've gotta pay , ........and almost every package gets examined by local customs at Frankfurt International Airport and forwarded to local offices depending on destinations around the land .

I sometimes swap lures with American and Australian carvers , also buy off US Ebay occassionally , ...nobody overseas ever told me about hazzles with local customs receiving my return packages , ......over here I most likely have these troubles everytime !

Just my :twocents: , ..........greetz , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai

I'm in Germany , ...local anglers quite often mailorder lures and tackle from the US , as it's still worthwile , even when having to pay 19% VAT plus 4,3% Euro-Import tax .

I only wonder , from where you , being located in the USA , want to get your stuff cheaper , ......Asia , Eastern Europe ?

You've gotta contact US customs for import restrictrictions and monetary tax free limits , also tax rates , off course , .......over here the tax free limit for merchandise value is at only 22 Euros , ....for gifts 40 Euros , .........for a package contents value above these sums we've gotta pay , ........and almost every package gets examined by local customs at Frankfurt International Airport and forwarded to local offices depending on destinations around the land .

I sometimes swap lures with American and Australian carvers , also buy off US Ebay occassionally , ...nobody overseas ever told me about hazzles with local customs receiving my return packages , ......over here I most likely have these troubles everytime !

Just my :twocents: , ..........greetz , Dieter :yay:

I think he's talking about China and Japan......

I think he's talking about China and Japan......

Chinese stuff would surely be cheaper(but what about quality ?) , ........not so sure about Japanese lures , ...thinking to have read somewhere , that they were quite expensive ?

We'll be told , anyway :D , .........cheers , Dieter :yay:

Chinese stuff would surely be cheaper(but what about quality ?) , ........not so sure about Japanese lures , ...thinking to have read somewhere , that they were quite expensive ?

We'll be told , anyway :D , .........cheers , Dieter :yay:

japanese lures are some of the finest made.

japanese lures are some of the finest made.

I know , mate , .......and I don't think , that they are that cheap to buy , even not in Japan .

Over here in Germany the big Japanese brands cost about 30% to 100% more than comparably sized Rapalas .

Cheers , Dieter :yay:

I know , mate , .......and I don't think , that they are that cheap to buy , even not in Japan .

Over here in Germany the big Japanese brands cost about 30% to 100% more than comparably sized Rapalas .

Cheers , Dieter :yay:

i fully agree, some i think arnt worth the money. but the others have an action all of there own.

rapala have been around for a long time. and get the job done. :)

Dieter is right. Import duties can run quite a bit. My ex was into buying jade. She bought a peice for some unmentionably low price, like $3.99. To get it through customs we paid something like $399. The big auction has info in a pop up box that reads:

"Items shipping internationally may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.Sellers set the item's declared value and must comply with customs declaration laws.Buyers may be subject to additional charges for customs clearance."

Notice that part that says "sellers set the declared value."

The items are in Macau, and it would seem if this company is in the business of selling and shipping to the US, they (should) have the experience necessary to give you some idea of what the total cost of all this will be so there are no surprises. Maybe not exact but within a high/low range. I'd contact them and ask, "Based on your experience, what is the average cost with all the charges included for these items?"

If they don't know, or can't say, or claim it depends on other factors, scratch it and move on.

G

Bomber, I bought some Deps Buzzjet and Megabass Ito Vision 110 unpainted lures from Bustin Bass Baits - I only ordered lures listed as "high quality Japanese manufacture" - and was quite happy with the quality compared to other KO's. The exteriors are very nice and the overall weights are the same as the original commercial lures. The "silver finish" Ito 110's are actually chrome plated, for anyone looking for a lure with actual chrome flash. They are the best knockoffs I've tried and perform very well - BUT no, they are not EXACTLY the same and do not perform exactly the same as the original Buzzjet or the Ito Vision 110. To get the 110's to suspend in a head-down attitude like the original, I had to add a little lead tape to their chests. Not a biggie since 110's go for $25+ and these cost less than $5, but it's worth noting. IMHO, so far, nobody is selling exact copies of high end Japanese baits - not even the Japanese and I don't expect that will ever happen.

• Like 1

Bob, I agree with ya on the BBB blanks. They are as good it comes. I buy most of my stuff from Bryan. I wanted a few of these Megabass z Cranks but none of the big 3 have 'em.

Gary, that is great advice in your last statement. I'm gonna do just that. I usually don't like surprises at all. :)

Dieter is right. Import duties can run quite a bit. My ex was into buying jade. She bought a peice for some unmentionably low price, like $3.99. To get it through customs we paid something like $399. The big auction has info in a pop up box that reads:

"Items shipping internationally may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.Sellers set the item's declared value and must comply with customs declaration laws.Buyers may be subject to additional charges for customs clearance."

Notice that part that says "sellers set the declared value."

The items are in Macau, and it would seem if this company is in the business of selling and shipping to the US, they (should) have the experience necessary to give you some idea of what the total cost of all this will be so there are no surprises. Maybe not exact but within a high/low range. I'd contact them and ask, "Based on your experience, what is the average cost with all the charges included for these items?"

If they don't know, or can't say, or claim it depends on other factors, scratch it and move on.

G

I don't think , any international vendor could or is even able to tell you about your local import taxes , VAT or other custom fees , nor about possible restrictions on import of particular items within single countries of destination , ......this is not their duty nor intention , ........any import is on the local customers responsibilty alone !

They would not bother too much , ...as their only interest is to sell and make money , ...it does not matter , whether their goods reach the client or end up seized in a store room at any customs offices worldwide , ....the merchandise would have been already paid for , anyway !

What is their duty is attaching a properly filled customs tag onto the package and enclosing an invoice on the shipped merchandise as well .

I'd also advise to keep and file all Emails and notifications on webshop orders , especially invoices and purchase confirmations , .....in case an invoice would be missing in the package , these can be evidence for the national custom offices to prove the monetary value of package contents , thus enable them to determine about fees and taxes(or determine "taxfree" as well), ........especially important when dealing with private Ebay vendors , as these hardly provide any invoices .

But by all means , ....as said before , .......I'd strongly advise to gather detailed informations about import , restrictions , taxes and fees when planning on ordering any mechandise overseas ,........ best would be straight from local custom services , not just from some kinda "heard befores" in the neighborhood or on website forums .

Just thinking about an example , which was in local German newspapers quite a while ago :

Someone in Europe was smart enough to mailorder a semi-automatic AK47 assault rifle from the US , surely no problem in certain states of the USA , but strictly restricted in most European countries .

Did the vendor care about the harsh European firearms restrictions ........? No ,..........he had received his payment already , ..........the customer had to face a trial and conviction , off course , .......no matter whether he violated local laws on intention or out of complete stupidity .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai
  • Like 1

Diemai, you have a good point. After the vendor has what he asks for an item, he probably doesn't care what other charges are attached.

A lot of vendors, in years passed, would mark the packages as gifts to avoid the headaches, delays, and additional charges. Not sure if that is still a common practice or perhaps the laws have been changed precluding it.

I had to search a bit to get a clearer picture of import tax. One site says, "importers are expected to pay an import tax on virtually every item they import, but few know how much they owe until their shipments arrive in the US. Import taxes are based on the type of item you are importing and where it’s coming from."

It seems very strange in a nation where over half the products come from other countries, there is such a restriction. I didn't realize we had such a thing as the US Harmonized Tariff Schedule that is literally a 2000 page book listing every category and every product that can be imported.

Guess none of this should be a surprise. Import tariffs are the second largest source of revenue for the IRS.

G

Geez, you guys done talked me outta them Z cranks. :oooh: I contacted the e-bay seller and he said "$5 USD" for a lot of 10 crank baits. But, like y'all have stated...he doesn't really know.

I ain't goin' to jail over some crank blanks....even if they ain't KO's. :?

Looks to me like over there in the US things are even MORE complicated than here in Germany , as we only have a few of monetary duty free limits to take care of , no matter of which kinda goods or country of origin , ............ at least for private imports , .......and certainly all of the common import restrictions on f. e. firearms , foodstuff , life animals , etc. , etc .

Evident to me is that obviously very helpful site that bobv had linked , also the 2000 page book listing mentioned by garyo1954 , ....looks like it ain't that easy for you guys over there , .......as for my side , ...I should stop complaining about local customs over here ,....... probably :lol: .

And........ Mark , .......I know , that customer service is a lot better in the US than it is over here in Germany , .......maybe this is why it seems to me that some people are expecting such from an internet vendor in terms of determining about import taxes , .......but as I said , any webshops usually do not provide such service , ...in this case one's gotta refer to international freight companies , ......but this would be about entire container loads and not just a stuffed envelope full of lure blanks :lol: !

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

Yes sir. Thank you.

Here's what it says when I typed in Megabass fishing lure from Macau.

Megabass Fishing Lure has an import duty rate of 9%

So, according to this calculation...I'm looking at about $3.

..............now that's pretty reasonable , ........but what about other taxes apart from import duties ?

I've heard , that in the US there is 10% federal excise tax on almost every fishing items , .........or does this only count for goods purchased inside of the country ?

Anyway , .....good luck , ....cheers , Dieter :yay: