Bester

Etex Users

If im worryed about the paint between colors or letting it sit overnight i spray mine with acrlic clear spray out of a spray can it drys to the touch in about 10 mins and can be epoxy/e-tex over in 30 min and only takes a light coat to do it and the paint stays where i put it

I tried using a tack cloth on Lure #3 (yeah... I'm a noob...) to cut down on surface contamination and was not impressed with the results... Still some blemishes in my D2T..Minor blemishes, but blems nonetheless.... I had better results just carefully wiping down with a dry, lint free cloth on Lure #2 and will go that route from here on out.

Edited by bluetickhound

I'm assuming you are painting with an air brush, and have some kind of a compressor.

Gently blow the dust off your lure with your air hose, and go. Anything you use to clean or wipe your lure will have it's own contamination issues.

Just do your blowing off outside, so you don't stir up the dust in your shop.

If you don't have a compressor, get a good artists brush with fine, soft bristles, and just brush off all the debris and dust before you coat.

I always worry more about dust contaminating my lures once they're on the turner.

I make sure I'm not doing any work in the garage when I've got coated lures on my lure turner.

I typically coat last thing at night, turn on the turner, check for drips and bare spots, and then close the garage door gently, so I don't send up a cloud of dust.

I apply a second coat the next morning, and don't work in the garage until that afternoon, so the Etex has set.

Edited by mark poulson

The lexan window is a great idea. You need to monitor the lures for drips, sags, and bare spots.

So make it easy to open in case you need to work on them after you've started turning.

There are clear plastic storage containers that might work as a top for you. Make a four sided box base, with a clear sided storage container on top, held in position by two cut off nails and corresponding holes in the container. Then all you have to do to service the lures on the turner is lift off the container, and it is easy to re position afterwards.

I thought of this when I made my turner, but mine is a ferris wheel design, with the lures suspended between two large plywood discs on a BBQ rotisserie spit, and it's too big for any container I could find.

And I'm too lazy to make a lid for it. Hahaha

I mixed up a batch of Devcon yesterday afternoon to coat a couple of Super Spooks. I got halfway done with the first one and it starting setting. :oooh: I used alcohol to wipe it off best I could and tossed it aside. Then, I mixed up a batch of Etex to do the other one. I barely (and I mean barely) got finished before it started jelling. All I can figure is that it's so hot in my shop. So, last night about 11:00 I mixed another batch of Devcon to do the lure that I already started. It did just fine. I'm now storing my stuff in A/C.

Note: The temp reached 98 here yesterday. 8O

Saltshaker, I clear a lot of musky size lures with d2t and have a problem with it sitting up before I get the entire lure coated. (Just starting to harden) I have not had any problem with just mixing up another batch of fresh d2t and just starting right back in where I left off. It all blends right in and I can't tell where I stopped or started. Musky Glenn

Saltshaker, I clear a lot of musky size lures with d2t and have a problem with it sitting up before I get the entire lure coated. (Just starting to harden) I have not had any problem with just mixing up another batch of fresh d2t and just starting right back in where I left off. It all blends right in and I can't tell where I stopped or started. Musky Glenn

Thanks for that tip. I'll try that next time.