Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sammy01007

When To Add Fins

5 posts in this topic

At what point should I attach fiber fins to a swimbait? At this point I am attaching the rear fin before painting and sealing. I want to include a dorsal fin too. I was thinking of adding this after I paint, so it doesn't get in the way, but this may leave a less than perfect finish on the back of the bait. What does everyone else do?

attaching fiber fins is the last thing I do to baits. paint, clearcoat and then attach fins. I learned early on that trying to keep epoxy or whatever clearcoat you are using off the fins was a PITA! cut slots for the fins to go in and epoxy them in as a last step.

1 person likes this

Thanks Jon,

This is what I am currently trying. My brother, who works for an autobody shop, offered to try to clear all my baits for me. I sent him one assembled with fins as a quick practice one since I dont have anything else right now. My concern now is the clear filling in the slots for the fins (not sure how thick the auto-clear will be). I cut the slot with a hack saw blade. I find the thickness of the blade provides sufficient wiggle room for the fins, without leaving an obviouse gap after the fin are glued in. Time will tell.

to avoid filling in the slots when I am spraying on a clearcoat. I fold small pieces of wax paper and insert them into the slots and pull them out when i'm finished spraying. you can also use a small flat tip screwdriver to clean out the slot after it has set up.