DJR

Spray Booth?

I am considering building or purchasing a portable spray booth for airbrushing water based paints. There are a lot of designs found on various forums, youtube, etc. However, many are questionable in terms of safety by utilizing kitchen range hoods and bathroom exhaust fans in setups for solvent based paints. I have looked at units that can be purchased, but they seem expensive for essentially a simple box, filter, and fan combination. I have a shop full of tools, so building one is certainly a possibility. Does anyone have plans for a portable spray booth for water based paints that they built and could recommend? Also, does anyone have experience with the unit in the following link? It seems reasonably priced compared to other variations offered. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item231e171ba9

Ron

I have a fan that I place in a window in my shop. It exhausts all of the fumes to the outside. Yes, I am spraying water-based paints. Computer fans work great, too and are cheap and easy to find. If your are using solvent-based paints, I would suggest using a squirrel cage fan. They exhaust the fumes without exposing the fumes to the motor.

Gene

• Like 1

For my water based paints I use a high tech card board box turned up on its side and spray into the open end. The amount of paint I put out and the low pressure doesn't create any noticeable fumes. I have a plastic coffee can with a hole punched in the side, just large enough for the tip of my spray gun to go in. I use the coffee can to clean out my spray gun, I just spray into a closed coffee can until clean. Musky Glenn