CNC Molds N Stuff

12 Minutes Flat To Kick A Gallon Of Plastic - The Goal - Ready To Use

In another thread somebody claimed they can kick 16 cups (1 gallon) of plastic basically ready to use in 12 minutes flat in a microwave. I rarely do more than 6 cups and never more than 8 in the microwave myself. The times it takes me to kick and stir those amounts doesn't seem to inidcate I could do a gallon in 12 minutes, but I have no particular reason to doubt the claimant. I just want to know how they do it. I have an 1100 watt Sharp microwave on the pouring bench, and I am pretyt sure I couldn't do a gallon that fast no matter how I try. Now I know they make more powerful microwaves. I have one in my office and one in the house, but I don't want to stink them all up with plastisol just to find out if that is the answer.

How much plastic do you cook in the microwave at a time?

How long does it take?

Do you stir it at some point during that time to make sure it heats and kicks more evenly?

Do you count that in the time it takes?

What is the power rating of your microwave?

Do you think you could have 16 cups (1 full gallon) of plastic fully kicked and mixed in 12 minutes using the microwave?

i also have an 1100 watt nuker and i have cooked 7 cups at atime in a 8 cup pyrex and it took way more than 12 minutes. it takes more than 12 minutes in my presto pots but i have gotten 1/2 gallon on a stove top alot quicker but nowhere close to 12 minutes.

Edited by powerworm

i also have an 1100 watt nuker and i have cooked 7 cups at atime in a 8 cup pyrex and it took way more than 12 minutes. it takes more than 12 minutes in my presto pots but i have gotten 1/2 gallon on a stove top alot quicker but nowhere close to 12 minutes.

That's an interesting thought. It never really occured to me to do it on the stove. I just happen to have a propane camp stove out in the shop with a "turbo" burner in the middle. I hadn't used it in years, but I have used it recently to melt lead. It melts it pretty quick too. Faster I think than the claim on the outside of the box for a Lee Production Pot. (I just bought a Lee Lead Production Pot, but haven't used it yet.) I wonder if I could stir plastic fast enough to kick it over on that burner without scorching it. LOL.

My pouring days are over. The Lung Transplant Team told me if I get the lungs from a Canadian, then I will be able to speak French. I will then be able to communicate with the masters of the Turkey basters!

https://www.facebook.com/152ndStreetBaits Here are the well guarded secrets to multi colored bass catching baits without the use of salt , scent or turkey basters!

• Like 1

I've never tried nuking a full gallon at once, but I got a commercial micro from an electrician buddy when he did a remodel at a local QT convenience store. Don't know what's so different about it, but it cooks plastic almost 2X as fast as the 1250 watt wally world micro I was using at first. Both are 110V & about the same physical size, I dunno what the deal is.

There was talk about a Panasonic with inverter technology. Bought one and tried it. 7 minutes to nuke a quart. Same as the one I use now. As for what the point is I do use that much plastic. In fact two gallons is my normal for one color. Frank

What about the sayin "speed kills" or more like speed burns. Or what about "Haste makes waste". Oh never mind. Working that fast is not my style but what the heck I'm retired and have no schedule or desire. Glad some do work as fast as they can. Somebody has to do it and I'm glad its not me. If it works for them great.

Bob before you use that Lee pot use a infrared heat gun to measure temperature . They are not all the same and it takes a while . After you set the temp I found it was easier to nuke it and pour it into a warm pot for dispensing . I'll probably hear gripes about this comment but it is just my way or the proverbial 2 cents worth .

bought a cheap 1000 watt on sale at Home Depot the other day, takes too long to melt plastisol...should've pd $199 and got an LG or Samsung nuker.

"Quality is long remembered after price is forgotten"....or "It doesn't cost much more to go first classs, you just can't stay as long"

Go Vols!!!!