bassguy

When Did You Make Your First Bait?

Here is a topic that has been covered already, but here goes:

When I think back of the first bait I actually carved was about six years ago was from piece of pine my wife and I found at the beach. It was absolutely flawless, not a knot one any where on the piece. I took it home and slabbed off some pieces with my table saw. I drew a rough shape on it and started to "whittle" away with my Buck knife, before I knew it I had the first one. It worked the first time I tried it out. I made others out of that quarter of a log but the first one I'll remember forever. It has been retired because I would rather know where it was, than stuck on a tree stump at the bottom of some pond.

That's my explanation of my addiction and where it came from, how about you guys?

As the rules state, I posted a picture in the gallery of #1.

Jerry

Edited by bassguy

I carved my first in my Brooklyn apartment, in the "guest bedroom". At the time it was an empty room, so I bought a couple hand tools such as a dremel, coping saw, and such. I carved it out and sprayed it with spray paint. My wife was so "proud" of it (she is very encouraging). I quickly dissed it (it looked aweful!!) and through it in the trash. Kind of wish I kept it.

Well over 50 years ago when I carved my first bait. My father used to carve his own topwater baits and I guess it and my love for fishing just carried over. I have been woodcarving most of my life but only started seriously making crankbaits about 10 years ago, decoys, birds and caricatures comprised most of my carvings for a lot of years. Yesterday posted a couple replica fish carvings in gallery, hard bait section.

About 15 years ago. I whittled something out of balsa, although whittled is way too fancy a technique compared to what it was. Did not know how to manage the bill part, so I melted a plastic pen with two pairs of pliers and tried to shape it into a bill. Yes I inhaled the fumes. The bait worked and I never quit making baits since. Oh yes, they do look better now...

Pat