ROWINGADUBAY

Lure Holders For Drying Racks

Right now my drying wheel has alligator clips on them it works good but after a couple of lures the clips get coated with clear and wont hold a bait I am thinking of making some type of universal lureholder that hold the bait in the front and the back while painting and clear coating without handling the bait itself I would like it to hold a bait about 2" all the way up to 12" and I only need the rack to hold 5 or 6 baits at a time

I was wondering what types of holders do you guys use and what is good and bad about them ?

I use a ferris wheel-type design, with two large plywood discs, with opposing screw eyes, mounted on a BBQ rotisserie spit, and suspend my lures between the two discs with paper clips and rubber bands.

I made the discs large enough to hole two rings of screw eyes, so I could theoretically turn twelve lures at a time, but I found that six at a time, three on the inner ring and three on the outer ring, leaves me room to coat them on the turner after they're assembled, and to reach in and deal with drips, runs, and dry spots, without the other lures getting in the way.

Here's a gallery link to a photo:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/3592-my-paint-shop/

Edited by mark poulson

I have a square frame with the pivot point in the center. I actually put on my clearcoat while the plugs are on the dryer and turning. I use an open eye screw one one end the I slip the line eye onto and use a rubber band on the other end that goes into another open eye screw on the other side of the frame. It is easy on and off with the tension controlled by the size and tension on tyhe rubber band. It works great and is very easy to apply the clearcoat on all of the plug sides.

Edited by quickdraw

I use eye screws and rubber bands on my turner as well. One suggestion I might make for anyone using rubber bands is to either change them every so often or use something like a carburetor spring instead of the rubber band. It will definitely put you in a foul mood to wake up one morning and find bits of broken rubber bands permanently affixed to your nice, shiny lure. :censored:

Ben

I'm not the handiest so mine is fairly crude. The lures are held with the hemostats I use when painting then placed on clothespins. Got the idea here on TU. The hemos I got lucky on e-bay for dirt cheap.

https://www.facebook.com/ajax/flash/expand_inline.php?v=466721433342267&target_div=umqnfd_4&playertype=permalink&max_width=403&max_height=403&context=timelineSingle

Works for me!

Edited by 152nd Street Baits

After learning about how to build one on this site, I did improve the set up to hold the lure parts. I just bent some SS wire for one end and then used the small bungie cords for the other, still using the hooks on both ends. this way I can twist the lures to work on them. These are also the first lures that I built, thanks to the info on this site.

IMG_8639.jpg

Edited by freon1112