MuskyGary

Metalic Waterpaint

I'm not sure what color Rapala's Mardi Gras is, but I found, thanks to another TU member, that the Folk Art metallics are terrific.

They do have to be thinned, and shot through at least a .035 nozzle (.05 is better) due to the size of the pigment particles, but they are the most metallic of the air brushable paints I've found.

I also think the Folk Art metallics are pretty good (and cheap!) - if you have an airbrush that can shoot them without clogging. The Auto Air paints include some OK metallics too, as do some of the taxidermy paint lines like Smith Wildlife, etc. Check out taxidermy.net for the latter. Note: taxidermy paints come in both water based acrylics and solvent based lacquers. Don't get confused and order lacquer unless you are set up to shoot it.

Folk Art has more metallic colors than any other paint manuf. I've found.

I use their Metallic Peridot for my black crappie with green shoulders and back. I bet I could darken it if I wanted with some dark green and/or black and get a dark metallic green.

But I think you might have better luck getting the color you want a different way.

If they don't have what you want, you might try mixing up whatever dark green you want, spraying it on and heat setting it, and then overspray or mist coat it with either metallic gold or metallic silver. Once you put on a top coat it should give the green a metallic sheen.

In looking at the Rapala Mardi Gras on Tacklewarehouse, it looks to me like the green isn't metallic, but the back and shoulders have been oversprayed with a metallic black. The green would still come through somewhat, depending on how many coats of the metallic black you spray.

When I've tried shooting colors over metallic paint, it usually kills the metallic sheen. I've had better luck shooting Smith Wildlife pearl chrome over other colors. It will slightly darken very light colors (white) but produces a nice silver metallic sheen. I think it's basically a pearlized clear base with extremely fine silver flake suspended in it. A light dusting is enough to get the metallic effect.

Edited by BobP